Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

loss of power and charging problem

807 4
I have a 98 12 valve. the insterment cluster stoped reading, all the gagues do not redgester. Iam also having a problem keep a charge to the batteries. i volt tested the batteries when i couldn't start in and it read under 11 volts and when i did get it running the volts still stayed the same.i have been able to run the truck back and forth but i notice a slugges start of the start. if you have a answer that would be great. thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
The voltage regulator is part of the pcm.Check your fuses under the hood on the left fender well.Check the 20amp fuel pump relay,it also supplies power to the pcm.Hope this helps.

· Registered
585 Posts
check the engine speed sensor if it goes out of whack all types of stuff happens, wont charge cause the pcm thinks the engine is not running and shuts the alternator down

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have checked all the fues and all of them seem to be fine, where would i find the engine speed sensor and how would you test to see if it working properly. thanks for the help

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
The engine speed sensor is located at the lower engine pulley.
Check that wiring to it is intact and the connector is clean.
The gap between the sensor and the pulley should be about the thickness of a business card.
Only way to check the ESS itself is with an oscilloscope.
If everything looks good and no fuses are blown replace the ESS.
Any autoparts store will have one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.