Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
running a 98 12v and my cruise is gone.
i brought it to the shop and they said it's a selonoid in the steering wheel and that a new steering wheel is required "1400.00"
i call b/s on that ,,because i heard dodge diesels are prone to lossing their cruise.
what would be the issue.
thanks

·
Banned
432 Posts
First....does the button on the wheel power up the cruise? If you get the green light, you're getting power to the cruise. Check for vacuum.....do the HVAC controls work? When you have a vacuum loss, the HVAC will default to "defrost", and won't move to any other position. If this is the case, find the vac leak and fix it. If the cruise doesn't power up(no green light), check fuses first. If these check OK, it is possible that you have a bad clockspring. Turn the wheel left/right and listen, you may hear a "crinkling" noise, kind of like wadding up a piece of aluminum foil. Not an extremely difficult repair, though you must be careful, you'll have to remove the wheel and you won't want to set off the airbag. HTH

·
Registered
788 Posts
Check the vaccuum lines on the firewall driverside and by the power steering pump. Thats what caused mine not to leak but i'm not sure how similar our trucks are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
not sure about dodge, but that happened to my ranger, went a month with it like that, and when i got it fixed it was something attached to the brakeswitch. so i went a month with now brakelights.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i get nothing on display,,i've checked the fuses on the inside cab,,,but not under the hood.
First....does the button on the wheel power up the cruise? If you get the green light, you're getting power to the cruise. Check for vacuum.....do the HVAC controls work? When you have a vacuum loss, the HVAC will default to "defrost", and won't move to any other position. If this is the case, find the vac leak and fix it. If the cruise doesn't power up(no green light), check fuses first. If these check OK, it is possible that you have a bad clockspring. Turn the wheel left/right and listen, you may hear a "crinkling" noise, kind of like wadding up a piece of aluminum foil. Not an extremely difficult repair, though you must be careful, you'll have to remove the wheel and you won't want to set off the airbag. HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts