Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys and gals i have a question. I have a 03Ram 3500 4x4, When i start my truck its hard to start. Then when i get it started i leave the house and it starts loosing power, and speed. Ive changed fuel filters, drained diesel, fuel flush. Do yall have any advice...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Guys and gals i have a question. I have a 03Ram 3500 4x4, When i start my truck its hard to start. Then when i get it started i leave the house and it starts loosing power, and speed. Ive changed fuel filters, drained diesel, fuel flush. Do yall have any advice...
any mods? I'd have your Fuel pressure checked...check eng light? if not a compression problem then maybe a sensor. I've seen MAP sensors going/gone bad cause a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I had the same exact issue a few years back with my 99. It took a mile and a quarter for it to go from 0-60. Come to find out it was the map sensor. They are about $135. To find that you will need the ECM scanned. Keep us posted on what you find

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a diablosport programmer but thats the only mod

·
Registered
609 Posts
IF you haven't been too hard on it...might just be a sensor...I'm a VP44 guy...and if you had a VP44 I'd tell you to get your FP checked ASAP!! but not sure about CP3's...Might be a MAP sensor. It can make your ECM do strange things. On gas engines, the ECM constantly monitors the MAP sensor to adjust fuel schedule based on what is going into the engine. Now since you have a common rail setup. I'd think that the ECM is controling the injectors instead of a dedicated injection pump (VP44). So, if the MAP sensor is bad..could be telling the ECM the wrong data. Hard starting can be a clue...but it can show up more as the engine get hot...I'm sure someone else that knows a heck of a lot more about common rail engines than I do...will chime in.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Lift pump! Check for codes, cycle your key off/on three times without starting, on the third time leave the key in the on position, any codes will show up in the odo window. Write them down, if no codes it will say "done". Take the programmer off to see if that might be the problem, but I will bet the lift pump.

Jess

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the programmer off, it does the same with it on.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You are on the right track by checking your fuel delivery sys. As I said in my earlier post, you have a fuel filter canister mounted lift pump, 03/04's are failing left and right.

Have you checked for codes yet, like I advised?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts