Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Not without a lot more information...................

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
How much are you driving in that time?
Do you have an leaks?
Is the engine smoking out the exhaust?
Is smoke coming out the Blow By tube/Puke bottle?
How many Miles?
Are you pulling heavy loads at speed?
That is a lot of oil! :banghead:
I don't use any between oil changes at 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea. Just around town maybe average 1-2 hours a day. It smokes on start up and when it sits barely. But i have a straight pipe, injectors, smarty, fuel/air separater. Ive pulled a bumper pull horse trailer once and a bumper pull will a '65 mustang on it twice. And yes alot of smoke coming through blowby tube

·
Registered
853 Posts
Could be a couple of differant things. Pressure wash your engine, take a close look at it with it running. Use a flashlight if you have to. Then repost with more information like
dozer said. Passanger side, drivers side, front, back, how high on the engine block. All will help. Evan if you can't pinpoint it, thats ok. Just repost with more information, and someone will tell you what it likely is, and the best way to repair it.
JJ

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Smoke through the Blow By tube is usually a sign of bad rings.:banghead:
How many miles on your rig?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
i went from burning no oil to burning 2 quarts per 3,000 miles, im chasing the same rabbit as you, but i have a better one.

check your turbo for play in it.

usually alot of smoke at idle is not good,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can barly see the smoke. But it is annoying when i look in my mirror at night while im crusing at a constant speed and i see a haze of smoke in peoples head lights. its not dark coal its just a barley visible haze. Turbo play causes smoke?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
black smoke of any kind means you are over fueling.

you could have injector issues, do you hear any timing knocks or hard starting issues, blue smoke is typically burning oil, while black is diesel, white is low combustion temp or coolant.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
do you add 2 stroke oil to your fuel?

what size injectors do you have and what is on the truck, im wondering if your injectors are to big for your turbo,

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
are you supposed to put 2-stroke oil in it? it has injectors and a new turbo which i think is to small. it has a smarty and a fass
alot of guys add 2 stroke because it brings back lubrication that was lost durnign the switch from LSD to ULSD.

Do you know the HP of your injectors ie 40,60,100,etic and the size if your turbo?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts