Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

lopy idle and tach dosent work.

796 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  justinbrahs
I have a 98 12 valve cummins and recently I just changed the gear case gasket. I had to pull the cam to replace the gasket, got it all back together. While I was at it I increased the injection pump timing by 1 degree. When I finished the project the truck idles kinda funny and the tach dosen't work now. The truck runs fine down the road and starts up great but at idle its kinda lopy. My question is did I advance the timing to much and its affecting the computer or is there something else wrong now.

The truck idled fine and the tach worked before I started the project. What could be wrong?

Thanks for any input..

Justin
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9,910 Posts
The engine is fully mechanical, the computer has no participation in how it runs.

Are you sure the cam timing is correct? how exactly did you determine that you only advanced the pump 1*?

As for no tach, sounds like the ESS is misadjusted, F'd or just not hooked up. it should be adjusted to about the thickness of a business card away from the dampner.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read the cummins shop manual and I used a dial indicator to set it to 5.2 mm to give me 14.5 degrees BTDC. Stock is 13.5 for a manual transmission. As far as the dampner sensor I adjusted it as far out as it could. I didnt know how far I should put it.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Like i mentioned above, the engine is fully mechanical, electronics have no bearing on the operation of the engine. You could toss the ESS in the garbage and drive it all day other than the fact that the alternator will not charge without a tach signal

The ESS needs to be about the thickness of a business card away from the dampner

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Also with the ESS make sure you are not setting the gap with the notch... needs to be set on a flat spot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.