Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a lopey idle real bad.I was wanting to go with a So pump for more hp. I no a monster stage 2 will give you more hp and a lopey but will the stage 1

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dont think a SO pump will give me a lopey idle but it is cheaper that a monster pump

·
Registered
417 Posts
The only way I know to get a lopey idle is to put bigger injection lines on. Granted I'm not running a Monster Stage 1 pump (I've got a Scheid HRVP44) and I haven't experienced a lopey idle with it except when I'm going 10 mph on the dot. It has more of a rough idle than anything. Thing cost $1800 bucks too, and if I would've known about the Monster Stage 2's, I would be running one for sure. Anyways, you can run .084 and .093 injection lines on the 24 valves and shouldn't experience a problem. The bigger lines can give ya that lopey idle. I've heard it works on some trucks, but on others not? At least thats what I'm hoping, a set are going on here this summer. It sounds like you're ready to:peelout

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess trying bigger lines would be cheaper than a monster pump.A friend on mine put the .093 lines on his truck and it would not idle and would cut off but he has them on his monster pump and sounds real good

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i go with bigger lines do i need to put a bigger line from my fuel filter to injection pump.I already got 1/2 in lines from tank to fuel filter

·
Registered
417 Posts
OHH i got ya. Well shoot that has me rethinking this bigger injection line thing. I know for sure the .120 lines won't work on the 24 V's. On the SO pump, the .084's I'd imagine would be all right, but then again, I'm not completely sure. From what I understand about the bigger lines, it actually retards the timing because it takes longer for the VP44 to fill up the line. Thus giving you that lopey idle. But I'd hate to see you go spending the money on them and have it not work. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this because now I want to know!

·
MI Chapter President
5,687 Posts
Id try larger crossover tubes and go from there

Crossover tubes $150
Fuel lines $400+
Monster Pump $2200

·
Mark Ward
837 Posts
cross over tubes drilled to .093 usually will do it. then lines. I wouldnt go bigger than a .084 with an so pump.

·
Mark Ward
837 Posts
actualy in a diesel the cam doesnt make that big of a differance.

·
Mark Ward
837 Posts
as far as the idle goes. Mine droped EGT's and gained some spool up.

·
Mark Ward
837 Posts
not sure im not an expert. but i was expecting it when i installed mine and it idled a lil smoother than stock. but they said it was something to do with the duration.

·
Mark Ward
837 Posts
yea thats kinda why i went ahead and bought one while I had the motor out, cuz i wanted the lope, but with just the cam it didnt. I was a lil disappointed but after i installed injectors and a II HRVP44 in loped like crazy. And now with Bigger inectors and Monster it lopes like a hardcore big block.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,438 Posts
yep, that is strange. if you extend the duration of the cam on any combustion engine, the lope should get extended. if anyone has any technical info as to why, i would be interested.

·
Registered
689 Posts
ya i agree with you ward. I have seen 2 different trucks install cams and no lope in the idle like a gasser

·
P-Pumped Beast
843 Posts
cams dont affect the idle on a diesel. i've seen trucks with about a half dozen different cams and as long as they have proper injection timing and properly sized lines they dont lope.

crazy lope comes from timing, incomplete combustion at idle and a few other things. if you think lope is so cool, try to drive one on the street, where automatics stall at every light, and the manuals become jerky and hard to take off smooth in.

I prefer to have a truck thats tame/quiet at idle, then just screams to life at about 2000 rpms up to 4000...but if having a truck that sounds 10x more bad than it really is and not having the balls to back it up is your thing...just pinch 3 of your injection lines with some vice grips to restrict the flow and it will lope like the big dogs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts