Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys my steering still seems purty loose after replacing all the linkage on the front end as far as tie rods and that stablizing arm. i was wondering how i adust the looseness on the steering box. is there just like a nut that i tighten a certain way to take some slack out of it? also my steering wheel when i'm goin straight down the road is cocked at a pretty good angle:thud::thud: would i adjust the tie rod like piece that connects to the steering box? any help appreciated:thumbsup:thumbsup

Premium Member
My truck has play in the steering too and it steers hard. Even after a new box and pump. Pisses me off everytime I drive it so I am just gonna replace everything on the front end:$: If that don't fix it i don't know what i will do

Not like the others......
It's been awhile since I did it, but I believe the adjuster is on top of the strg. box. I think it's an allen head with a lock nut. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the screw down snug (NOT tight) and then back it off an 1/8 or 1/4 turn (i don't remember for sure). Someone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong.
would i adjust the tie rod like piece that connects to the steering box?
Yes

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been awhile since I did it, but I believe the adjuster is on top of the strg. box. I think it's an allen head with a lock nut. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the screw down snug (NOT tight) and then back it off an 1/8 or 1/4 turn (i don't remember for sure). Someone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong.Yes
hey thanks man i'll remember to do that. i might be going home this weekend. my dad has a bunch of tools and stuff. it's kinda funny but it'll piss me off drivin down the interstate with a steering wheel that's cocked going straight and loose steering. that keeps me awake for sure :woot::woot:

Registered
Maybe we (my steering isn't tight either) need a steering box stabilizer. It's a bolt on bracket that stiffens the frame and has a bearing to go over the end of the shaft on the steering box to keep if from moving.

:kick:

I DONT BELIEVE IT!
It's been awhile since I did it, but I believe the adjuster is on top of the strg. box. I think it's an allen head with a lock nut. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the screw down snug (NOT tight) and then back it off an 1/8 or 1/4 turn (i don't remember for sure). Someone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong.Yes
My steering is the same way , its almost as sloppy as my ex :CRY:, but It makes for a fun ride towing a 36 ft toy hauler in the wind :rof Do any of you guys have a picture of how to adjust it ??

I DONT BELIEVE IT!
Picture of the screw i meant :thud:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ah well i'll give that screw on top of the steering box a shot. and if that doesnt work......then it doesn't work:lol3:

Registered
Have You checked your track bar? my steering had a little play in and I replaced the track bar, and that fixed the problem

Registered
steering box is usually not the problem. wheel bearings, ball joints, n tie rods are generally what makes loose steering and cocked wheels. there are ways to check all of these easily. have you checked all em?

Registered
When I fixed my steering on my 01 alot of the play came out with the new track bar.

Registered
im having the same problem on my 01 QCSB I replaced the sway bar because It didn't have one when I got the truck but my links are shot within 2 months how do I know if I got the rite sway bar {got it at a junk yard} came off a 01 2500 QCSB with a 360 motor. can I use it on my cummins it should b the same yes/no?

Registered
Check your track bar. My steering was super loose because the upper joint on my track bar was shot. Replaced it and now steering it tight. A good alignment guy will be able to look at it and tell you exactly what the problem is

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Rescue Tower
im having the same problem on my 01 QCSB I replaced the sway bar because It didn't have one when I got the truck but my links are shot within 2 months how do I know if I got the rite sway bar {got it at a junk yard} came off a 01 2500 QCSB with a 360 motor. can I use it on my cummins it should b the same yes/no?
Thread is back from 2008... any rate sway bar has nothing to do with loose steering. I'm not even running a sway bar. Just gets in the way of articulation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts