Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil dipstick shows the level to be about twice as high as its supposed to be. When the engine is running and I’m looking underneath the truck, I see a light exhaust puffing out of some hose near the engine…not too far from the fuel filter hose, but its thicker and blackened. The whole underside of my truck and the tailgate is speckled black. I had a check gauge light come on right just moments before I arrived at the parking lot at work and turned it off. When I look under the hood, I see nothing out of the ordinary; it’s all happening underneath and out of that hose I mentioned.

Any guesses?

There's a diesel shop only two blocks away. Can I drive there? If not, I have problems because I'm on a military installation...not sure if I can get a tow truck through the gate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, the firewall here seems to prevent searches for past posts on this site. So I apologize, but I can't search this website.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like fuel in the oil, causing high oil levels and therefore high pressure causing the crankcase vent to vent excessively.

Edit: Injectors leaking fuel into the cylinder.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@kott0n ...I was wondering about injectors. Does this indicate 100% that I need new ones? What about seals? In other words, I'm wondering if I even need to take it to the shop. Because if I absolutely know I need new ones, and if I plan to install injectors myself (whenever that time comes), then I would rather have it towed at my house and save the money to have it inspected.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It's either injectors or cp3 shaft seal if you are making oil. Running with diesel in the oil is not a good thing, can cause early bearing failure. Damage may already be done with that much fuel depending on how long it's been.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just as a search tip you can still use google with your search words, and just add "cumminsforum . com", of course written correctly. And I'd vote towards oil in the fuel

·
Trying to learn
7,396 Posts
And I'd vote towards oil in the fuel
Are you sure?

Don't even start it again till repaired and the oil & filter changed.
Can't you use a tow strap, rope, or chain to pull it? last resort, have some guys help you push it through the gate.
Does this indicate 100% that I need new ones?
90% anyway.

·
Trying to learn
7,396 Posts
I know what you meant to say.
Hit the 3 dots on the right side of the post and you can edit your posts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I had a friend tow it to a parking lot just outside the base's gate, where it will be picked up by a tow truck to take to the mechanic. I did have to turn it on once to get power steering, but immediately turned it off again.

I called the mechanic to let him know it was coming. he asked if it was running rough or not. It isn't. He says that may indicate crossover tube... but we'll see.

I won't be too sad if I need new injectors, since I knew that was coming (I'm around 185K right now). But I'll be in big trouble if I ruined the engine. My tax return is going to be large, but not that large.

Thanks everyone.

·
Banned
1,588 Posts
Loose damaged connector tube can NOT leak into the motor crankcase. Either onto side of head externally if tube fitting/threads are cracked/damage or leaking into the diesel injector return galley cast/bored through the head to back of head fitting.

Likely culprits for diesel in oil, injector nozzle leaking from wear corrosion dirt jamming into combustion chamber 360d rotation, injector body cracked and spraying out over top of head running down into crankcase, or CP3 shaft seal leaking.

Better check your "mechanic's" references for skilled Cummins HPCR work. Totally different animal than the old P Pumps. Flunky mechanic will wallet rape you and leave you standing naked.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Free undercoating at least!

Definitely sounds like an injector or more than 1 leaking. Oil dilution by fuel can hurt things quickly. Good call on the tow and getting it checked out.

Does your base have a hobby shop? Man I miss those. Did all kinds of crazy crap to vehicles at one in Guam.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Injectors have to be cracked to leak fuel into the oil or their orings have to be broken/bad shape. Those orings are very stout.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had this very same thing happened to me. The hole underneath of my truck was covered. In my case it was injectors and I’m betting that your case to. Also damaged my turbo, thankfully engine Survived. Truck ran fine , other then occasional hard hot starting. No excessive smoke, knocking ect. But I do recall smelling the diesel boiling in the crack case . Smelled like Rotten eggs .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I've seen this 100s of times over the Years, If your exhaust shows no signs/smell it NOT Injectors, Its CP3 Shaft Seals. heck I had one owner drive From Omaha NE to Blaine MN ( He needed to be Home) He change his lube 3 Times every 100 miles and drained 4 Gallons of Fuel/Oil each time, the truck is still going strong after CP3 replacement and 3 Years of use.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
The CP3 does have a weep hole between the Seals to leak out on the Ground, The Problem is the CP3 Manifold is Aluminum and the front cover is steel so the weep hole corrodes shut ( over time). Generally the the bottom of the CP3 will be wet if its the seals it just leak enough around the collar.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just heard from the shop. The verdict is one of the injectors has a "pin hole" that was spraying inside the crank case. I guess that means a crack?

Anyway, I'm going to get it towed back to my house and do the work myself. I'm planning on getting BBI injectors, cross tubes, new fuel filters, new oil filter, and enough oil for 2x oil changes. Does that sound about right?

(Not sure what BBIs I'll get yet. Any recommendations?)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 2nd oil change, just change it cold and after a day or 2 of drain down.

Or do a 2nd for peace of mind, but I think that is unnecessary.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I wouldn't do the second oil change, what I would do is an oil test after it's been changed and driven a bit to confirm you didn't damage anything from all the diesel.

Reactions: Hall00
1 - 20 of 26 Posts