Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Ram 2500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, before anything I would like to say that I have tried doing research on finding what to upgrade in a 48RE when keeping the power stock and I haven’t had much luck. Everything I find is for people looking to make 400hp and up l. That’s not me, I want to keep my truck stock and reliable. My 48RE has been slipping bad and it keeps getting worse day by day it feels like im pulling a huge trailer. I’m ruling out basic faults since I’ve already taken care of regular maintenance on the transmission and is still slipping. Right now I’m pretty set on buying the BD diesel stage 3 Heavy Duty transmission rebuild kit https://us.bddiesel.com/products/bu...stage-3-heavy-duty-kit?variant=30073763070016
And having it done by a reputable shop around where I live. Now since the transmission is going to be off and worked on I wanted to see what you guys would recommend to also upgrade just for making the transmission much more reliable. Like I said I’m not planning on making any kind of power gains I want to keep a nice reliable and running truck. I’m planing on buying a camper in the near future too just in case it matters for when it comes to parts but other than that I don’t do any towing. I’d much appreciate you guys’s input on this and thanks in advance ! Wish all of you guys a happy thanksgiving.

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,625 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving man.

There are many good options for stock power transmission builds. Firepunk, Suncoast, Goerend, RevMax, Dynamic, etc.
The pearl of wisdom I'll leave you with is this:
Nobody ever regrets having a transmission that's overbuilt for their needs.

Reactions: Oscvrh

·
Registered
7,319 Posts

·
1,930 Posts
3 pedals.

Reactions: Oscvrh

·
Registered
85 Posts
Being a former 48re owner, I second the 3 pedals vote!! But that's not for everyone.. if 48re is your thing, those guys all have good reputations. Can't go wrong with them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Ram 2500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being a former 48re owner, I second the 3 pedals vote!! But that's not for everyone.. if 48re is your thing, those guys all have good reputations. Can't go wrong with them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
As much as I’d love a manual I can’t afford a new transmission at the moment. Which is why I decided to just upgrade the 48RE

·
Registered
152 Posts
I voted Allison and I love it. The best thing you can do for your 48RE is a great converter. The trans can hold all the power you want, if the converter is slipping your done. My '98 had a converter going bad on me. I caught it early. I risked the HD billet single disc TC from eBay. Fluid and filter change, the solenoid upgrade kit and a used deep BD pan I had from the core before going Allison. Turned up line pressure 1.5 turns and went with Dextron fluid. It's been about 2,000 miles and it seems pretty happy and got 19.1 mpg last tank. I love a non computer diesel!
Good luck whichever way you go. Probably want to tell the builder if there are any plastic pieces in there that can be replaced with steel or aluminum please do so. The the forward band strut.

·
Registered
2003 SO 2500 4x4 SLT quad cab, 170,000, 48RE
4 Posts
Hey guys, before anything I would like to say that I have tried doing research on finding what to upgrade in a 48RE when keeping the power stock and I haven’t had much luck. Everything I find is for people looking to make 400hp and up l. That’s not me, I want to keep my truck stock and reliable. My 48RE has been slipping bad and it keeps getting worse day by day it feels like im pulling a huge trailer. I’m ruling out basic faults since I’ve already taken care of regular maintenance on the transmission and is still slipping. Right now I’m pretty set on buying the BD diesel stage 3 Heavy Duty transmission rebuild kit https://us.bddiesel.com/products/bu...stage-3-heavy-duty-kit?variant=30073763070016
And having it done by a reputable shop around where I live. Now since the transmission is going to be off and worked on I wanted to see what you guys would recommend to also upgrade just for making the transmission much more reliable. Like I said I’m not planning on making any kind of power gains I want to keep a nice reliable and running truck. I’m planing on buying a camper in the near future too just in case it matters for when it comes to parts but other than that I don’t do any towing. I’d much appreciate you guys’s input on this and thanks in advance ! Wish all of you guys a happy thanksgiving.
I had mine rebuilt a few months ago with similar goals as you. Besides the rebuild kit, had heavy duty bands (which yours may come with), a billet torque converter, and shift kit. I’m happy with the results, but wish I had gone for a triple disc torque converter and built valve body rather than just shift kit. Take a look at Muldoon’s website (muldoonsdiesel.com) and read through what’s offered on their various builds to get a better idea.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Keep researching, awesome information here buried in many posts. The information here can be used to DIY a good rebuild with the right basic tools and a few special tools.

If you address the common issue($) you will have a fine stout transmission. Plus, reliability will also be highly correlated.

A 3x TC has more 🗜 clamping area and isn't significant more than a good billet 1xTC. always a however, then consider an input shaft. VB and pressure is important, very important.. 🔒 up can be managed with VB but a solid 🔒 up is wonderful 👍😊..

Building it to address the soft spots and you can turn up the wick with OUT concern...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts