Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
correct, bought a very small house, cleaned it up took the "monthly payments" put that in savings 5 years later moved up etc. I have a very small house in a cheap neighborhood. my starter home was a CHEAP one bedroom/one Bath home. Seems today everyone starter home is 4 bedroom/3 bath 300K home. I guess just a difference of generations. It seems debt is accepted now. I grew up with parents that did have a mortgage, but they paid it off as quickly as possible and never borrowed money. It just stuck with me.

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
I agree with no need for a 4x4 for a highway towing truck, in 5.5 years I have never needed a 4x4, never go more off road more than the gravel/dirt trailer storage yard where I pick my trailers up. I have saved lots of money on maintenance I didn't have to do on the 4x4 system.
Plus, a 4x4 gets a lower payload and tow rating because of the higher weight of a 4x4 truck.

The only reason to go 4x4 is for going off road and higher resale value, I wasn't worried about either.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
good points. but I NEVER borrow money. I pay cash for everything. So yes I take on the risk of "used" vs new, but so far the lower cost has out weighed the repair costs. But as i noted before, I have not purchased any vehicle since late 2010. And it seems the Dodge CTD's are holding their value at a higher rate than it seemed they were in 2010. No matter what I would never borrow money, but I guess I need to go talk to a dealer and see what the cash price might be.
Good for you, not many can do that with the price of vehicles, especially these. 2019+ came with 3.73, FYI.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with no need for a 4x4 for a highway towing truck, in 5.5 years I have never needed a 4x4, never go more off road more than the gravel/dirt trailer storage yard where I pick my trailers up. I have saved lots of money on maintenance I didn't have to do on the 4x4 system.
Plus, a 4x4 gets a lower payload and tow rating because of the higher weight of a 4x4 truck.

The only reason to go 4x4 is for going off road and higher resale value, I wasn't worried about either.
I can't think of any 4x4 specific related maintenance I had to do on my '04 2500 before I sold it for my '16 in 200,000 miles of driving and 8 years of ownership. 4x4 have a higher buy in like you stated, with a higher resale to go with it. So in the end, it's a wash either way.

I never needed the 4x4 until those key specific times when I did. No, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker. I would have figured a way out, but I am very glad I didn't have to figure a way out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
good points. but I NEVER borrow money. I pay cash for everything. So yes I take on the risk of "used" vs new, but so far the lower cost has out weighed the repair costs. But as i noted before, I have not purchased any vehicle since late 2010. And it seems the Dodge CTD's are holding their value at a higher rate than it seemed they were in 2010. No matter what I would never borrow money, but I guess I need to go talk to a dealer and see what the cash price might be.
good for you! 2010 was a different marketplace and as a cash buyer, i can tell you that buying cash doesn't mean anything nowadays. Money is so easy to get, and in some cases interest free, that you're competing against folks who don't care as much about price. It's all about the payment, and paying an extra $60 or $70 bucks a month due to paying $4000-$5000 more for the truck isn't as big of a deal to most people, whereas someone forking over $50K in one lump sum is probably a lot more sensitive to a $5K difference in price. Nothing wrong with financing by the way, this is just what i've observed over the last several years of buying cars.

So with that being said, I wouldn't discount new. You'll notice, most 2017-2018 4th gen diesels are selling for almost (typically $5-$8K difference, and sometimes less) what you can buy a brand new 2019-20, and they sell like hot cakes. Not sure if people just aren't aware of how much they can buy a new one for, or what but i've been keeping an eye out for one and i've been quite surprised at how fast they sell, even at these high prices. Like anything else though, a truck is worth what someone's willing to pay for it so more power to the dealerships that manage to get top dollar for their inventory. I'm holding out for now, since i really don't need the truck quite yet, and will circle back around the end of the year to see how things are looking out there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
correct, bought a very small house, cleaned it up took the "monthly payments" put that in savings 5 years later moved up etc. I have a very small house in a cheap neighborhood. my starter home was a CHEAP one bedroom/one Bath home. Seems today everyone starter home is 4 bedroom/3 bath 300K home. I guess just a difference of generations. It seems debt is accepted now. I grew up with parents that did have a mortgage, but they paid it off as quickly as possible and never borrowed money. It just stuck with me.
This thread is quickly turning into a financial debate so I'll just throw this out there...why not just keep the truck you have and get a more manageable trailer that won't require a high $ truck to begin with.

Pretty easy to see the dynamic unfolding here, the argument between financing a high $ truck or not. I can only say this. After having my '04 Ram 2500 for 8 years, upgrading to this '16 has been the greatest thing ever. The '04 was a great truck but these '15+ are in a totally different league. Yeah I'm back into having a truck payment after years of not. And you know what... I don't even care. Yeah it's debt. Don't care. The near-silent cab ride compared to my old one, the exhaust brake, the handling, towing, vented seats...literally everything about my '16 is awesome. It's crazy, my '04 wasn't 'clapped out' at all, but these new trucks are just leap years better. Not even trying to sound cheesy, but it's transformed my experience. Towing my 10k trailer for 4-10 hour road trips isn't exhaustive anymore. I arrive to the race tracks and my leg isn't going numb from the blown out seats. My ass isn't swappy wet because I have a fan on my butt (and it's awesome). The A/C works. The air comes out the vents I want it to, not the vents it randomly chooses for the day. The truck pulls the same trailer that I have ~40,000 miles towing like it's a dually...but both trucks are 2500's. I arrive to the race track and I'm just like "oh hey I'm here, let's unpack". Having a louder cabin drone noise really does mentally wear you out after all day on the road. I didn't realize how much it did until I got my new one.

Yep, like I said, I pay for it. And I don't even care. Worth it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This thread is quickly turning into a financial debate so I'll just throw this out there...why not just keep the truck you have and get a more manageable trailer that won't require a high $ truck to begin with.

Pretty easy to see the dynamic unfolding here, the argument between financing a high $ truck or not. I can only say this. After having my '04 Ram 2500 for 8 years, upgrading to this '16 has been the greatest thing ever. The '04 was a great truck but these '15+ are in a totally different league. Yeah I'm back into having a truck payment after years of not. And you know what... I don't even care. Yeah it's debt. Don't care. The near-silent cab ride compared to my old one, the exhaust brake, the handling, towing, vented seats...literally everything about my '16 is awesome. It's crazy, my '04 wasn't 'clapped out' at all, but these new trucks are just leap years better. Not even trying to sound cheesy, but it's transformed my experience. Towing my 10k trailer for 4-10 hour road trips isn't exhaustive anymore. I arrive to the race tracks and my leg isn't going numb from the blown out seats. My ass isn't swappy wet because I have a fan on my butt (and it's awesome). The A/C works. The air comes out the vents I want it to, not the vents it randomly chooses for the day. The truck pulls the same trailer that I have ~40,000 miles towing like it's a dually...but both trucks are 2500's. I arrive to the race track and I'm just like "oh hey I'm here, let's unpack". Having a louder cabin drone noise really does mentally wear you out after all day on the road. I didn't realize how much it did until I got my new one.

Yep, like I said, I pay for it. And I don't even care. Worth it.
nothing wrong with having a payment. I had to laugh at all the common 3rd gen issues you described that I also dealt with on my 2006 ;) No comparison between the driving experience of a late model 4th gen vs a 3rd gen. The 3rd gen to me felt agricultural in every way. Great engine, not so great everything else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
so my current 2500 has new injectors and a new injector pump in 7/2016, rebuilt trans 7/2019 and new rackNpinion in 1/2020. I bought it from the original owner and have all maintenance records since the day I bought it. I only used top grade fuel and oil and do all maintenance on schedule. So the plan was to keep it and just buy a smaller RV. But unfortunately two weeks ago it started blowing white smoke. Most likely a bad piston ring. It still starts, ,runs, shifts and drives just like it always has. I just started blowing white smoke and I know what that means. I am not mechanical in any way and have no desire to fix it. And so with that prompting the decision to move on I want EXACTLY what you are describing. the 2015 - 2018 version of my truck is a major improvement and I would like all those benefits. And yes I do financial planning for people and small businesses and you are 100% correct, right now Cash does not get the benefit it did 10 - 20 years ago. Hence my current predicament.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes to be honest I bought it for that cummins engine. and until two weeks ago never regretted it. Yes Agriculture is a very good description. But wth my new injectors/pump. trans rebuilt, and reman raccNpinion I would have kept it. just not interested in do a ring job, and no way to know 100% that it is just that.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
White smoke is probably bad injectors. Does it pass the tea kettle test, that will tell you if it has lost a ring.

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
167 Posts
so my current 2500 has new injectors and a new injector pump in 7/2016, rebuilt trans 7/2019 and new rackNpinion in 1/2020. I bought it from the original owner and have all maintenance records since the day I bought it. I only used top grade fuel and oil and do all maintenance on schedule. So the plan was to keep it and just buy a smaller RV. But unfortunately two weeks ago it started blowing white smoke. Most likely a bad piston ring. It still starts, ,runs, shifts and drives just like it always has. I just started blowing white smoke and I know what that means. I am not mechanical in any way and have no desire to fix it. And so with that prompting the decision to move on I want EXACTLY what you are describing. the 2015 - 2018 version of my truck is a major improvement and I would like all those benefits. And yes I do financial planning for people and small businesses and you are 100% correct, right now Cash does not get the benefit it did 10 - 20 years ago. Hence my current predicament.
Not trying to throw your own argument in your face, but grossly over estimating numbers here, you could dump $3-5k into your current truck and still be out far, far cheaper than getting any new(er) truck. Why not just do that? ;)

I consider myself somewhat financially sound in other aspects in my life, but for the truck I got, I'm glad I listened to my close friends. Cry once, buy once. No middle step upgrade. I got exactly what I wanted for my demands from it.

Sounds like you would benefit from the same. You need to do a bit more researching (as some of the questions you ask are fairly basic in regards to what gear options come with 3/4 ton, 1 ton, dually, etc) to figure out what you want, but from what it sounds like, getting the dually with the Aisin is the way to go for you. Cry once, buy once. Put a nice ~15-20k down payment on the truck you want and be done with it. You'll always be far ahead of the depreciation curve. Yeah, you'll owe on it, so what. Short of a zombie apocalypse, you'll be able to unload it at any time you want and still put $ back in your pocket. So you'll have a truck note. BFD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes to be transparent, that was my thinking two weeks ago, just spend the 5K and have an updated engine, rebuilt trans, new injectors and new rackNpinion. probably will be what I do, I was just making sure I had not missed something in my analysis. really wanted the newer 2015+ vehicle, but thinking the repair route is the way to go. At least for now.

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
I can't think of any 4x4 specific related maintenance I had to do on my '04 2500 before I sold it for my '16 in 200,000 miles of driving and 8 years of ownership. 4x4 have a higher buy in like you stated, with a higher resale to go with it. So in the end, it's a wash either way.

I never needed the 4x4 until those key specific times when I did. No, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker. I would have figured a way out, but I am very glad I didn't have to figure a way out.
Well, then you didn't do any of the maintenance called for in the maintenance schedule then I take it???

Axle gear lube and transfer case both have periodic maintenance called for.
Plus the extra weight and driveline drag that reduces fuel economy.

Both of those things add to cost of ownership.
And, if you don't do the maintenance then you take the risk of premature component failure, which costs way more than doing the proper maintenance.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, then you didn't do any of the maintenance called for in the maintenance schedule then I take it???

Axle gear lube and transfer case both have periodic maintenance called for.
Plus the extra weight and driveline drag that reduces fuel economy.

Both of those things add to cost of ownership.
And, if you don't do the maintenance then you take the risk of premature component failure, which costs way more than doing the proper maintenance.
Oh for sure, when we are referencing $70-80,000 trucks when new, I'm very concerned about the additional $30 in gear/ATF transmission fluid every 50-80,000 miles. I mean, that's just a deal breaker right there.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
You don't have a house payment??

Good luck to you. I'm out
Dude, you need to find a new hobby rather than be-rating everyone you can and posting posts about your 6 mile trips to Walgreens and back!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
so I have a 2006 2500 5.9 Mega Cab. All new injectors and fuel pump at 235,00 miles and Rebuilt trans at 260,000 miles, truck now has 280,000 miles. Runs perfect. I currently pull a 6,000 enclosed trailer. I am looking to move up to a gooseneck triple axle toy hauler that will be around 16k-18k total trailer weight. Still researching what the ball weight will be. I am new to this.

I am selling my 2500 and the enclosed trailer and moving up to a 3500 DRW 6.7L and the mentioned toy hauler. I am thinking 2013 - 2015 model year.
Mega will work fine. And after suffering for almost 300k miles with a 48re and a stock 5.9, a late model 4th Gen will feel like heaven. Every aspect of the truck is better, save for the emissions stuff, which isn't that bad.
Recommendation, get new enough to eliminate the dual radiator, 2015 minimum, preferably 2016-2017 if you can swing it. Better programming, less glitches, IMO.
The only downside to a SRW truck is you're stuck with the 3.42 gears. Which will still out pull your old truck, but I don't understand saddling a tow rig with high gears (unless the trans has more than 6 cogs).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mega will work fine. And after suffering for almost 300k miles with a 48re and a stock 5.9, a late model 4th Gen will feel like heaven. Every aspect of the truck is better, save for the emissions stuff, which isn't that bad.
Recommendation, get new enough to eliminate the dual radiator, 2015 minimum, preferably 2016-2017 if you can swing it. Better programming, less glitches, IMO.
The only downside to a SRW truck is you're stuck with the 3.42 gears. Which will still out pull your old truck, but I don't understand saddling a tow rig with high gears (unless the trans has more than 6 cogs).
Having mine for a few months now, I don't find the 3.42's bad at all - but I'm only towing 10k. Honestly, locking out 6th puts my '16 2500 very, very close in RPM's with my old '04 2500 with the 48RE and 4.10's. Towing/power wise, locking out 6th basically simulates my old truck - except I can still upshift one more time and not be doing 2500 RPM's at 80 :D

21 - 39 of 39 Posts