Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a 2006 2500 5.9 Mega Cab. All new injectors and fuel pump at 235,00 miles and Rebuilt trans at 260,000 miles, truck now has 280,000 miles. Runs perfect. I currently pull a 6,000 enclosed trailer. I am looking to move up to a gooseneck triple axle toy hauler that will be around 16k-18k total trailer weight. Still researching what the ball weight will be. I am new to this.

I am selling my 2500 and the enclosed trailer and moving up to a 3500 DRW 6.7L and the mentioned toy hauler. I am thinking 2013 - 2015 model year.

If possible I would like to stay with the Mega Cab, but crew cab would work.

If my research is correct, I need the 3.73. the 3.42 will not work. Is that correct?

So my basic usage is I leave Atlanta, Ga around 3/25 and head up to TN. then head down to Texas, then up to Colorado. Around Late June I head to NC, then in July to WV and then in August back to NC, and in late Sept back to Atlanta. I make weekend trips in Oct to AL and FL. Basically the truck and trailer sit from Nov 1 - late March and then I do it all again. All those stops are motorcycle events that I attend each year.

I keep my vehicles stock, and I am very strict about oil, fuel and air filter maintenance. I keep my tires properly inflated. I do the trailer wheel bearing maintenance each year before I stat out.

so what is the 5th wheel rating of a 2013 - 2015 6.7L DRW mega cab? Will it handle the 16K - 18K toy hauler I am considering? If needed I could get by with a double axel 5th wheel toy hauler that is a total trailer weight of around 12K-14K.

Just not sure what I need. I am just starting this search, and will be purchasing the vehicle around Jan/Feb 2021

·
Registered
796 Posts
so I have a 2006 2500 5.9 Mega Cab. All new injectors and fuel pump at 235,00 miles and Rebuilt trans at 260,000 miles, truck now has 280,000 miles. Runs perfect. I currently pull a 6,000 enclosed trailer. I am looking to move up to a gooseneck triple axle toy hauler that will be around 16k-18k total trailer weight. Still researching what the ball weight will be. I am new to this.

I am selling my 2500 and the enclosed trailer and moving up to a 3500 DRW 6.7L and the mentioned toy hauler. I am thinking 2013 - 2015 model year.

If possible I would like to stay with the Mega Cab, but crew cab would work.

If my research is correct, I need the 3.73. the 3.42 will not work. Is that correct?

So my basic usage is I leave Atlanta, Ga around 3/25 and head up to TN. then head down to Texas, then up to Colorado. Around Late June I head to NC, then in July to WV and then in August back to NC, and in late Sept back to Atlanta. I make weekend trips in Oct to AL and FL. Basically the truck and trailer sit from Nov 1 - late March and then I do it all again. All those stops are motorcycle events that I attend each year.

I keep my vehicles stock, and I am very strict about oil, fuel and air filter maintenance. I keep my tires properly inflated. I do the trailer wheel bearing maintenance each year before I stat out.

so what is the 5th wheel rating of a 2013 - 2015 6.7L DRW mega cab? Will it handle the 16K - 18K toy hauler I am considering? If needed I could get by with a double axel 5th wheel toy hauler that is a total trailer weight of around 12K-14K.

Just not sure what I need. I am just starting this search, and will be purchasing the vehicle around Jan/Feb 2021

I would try and find a 15 or a 16 if you can, just because of a few interior updates and the removal of the leak prone second radiator after 2014. In any case, you can go to the link below and view the towing capabilities of any model of truck.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2016_ram_3500_towing_charts.pdf

It looks like a 3500 DRW with the aisin can tow about 24k with the 3.73 gears and about 20k with the 3.42 gearing. I wouldn't hesitate to pull that trailer with either gear ratio. The ratings with the "standard" 68RFE Trans are lower, about 16-18k depending on which gear ratio, and I also wouldn't hesitate to pull that trailer with a 68rfe truck either, though the 3.73s would be preferred there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually had not realized there were two transmission options, 68RFE and aisin, I will have to research that. I will also search the forum on the 2014 leak issue, thanks for that heads up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more and more I am interested in a 2016 3500 mega cab SW 3500. For a number of reasons I am finding the DW setup does not fit my proposed/future travel situation. If needed I can move down in toy hauler size to 12K - 14K weight. Can a 2016 3500 SW vehicle handle on a consistent basis towing a 12K goose neck tow hauler?

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
more and more I am interested in a 2016 3500 mega cab SW 3500. For a number of reasons I am finding the DW setup does not fit my proposed/future travel situation. If needed I can move down in toy hauler size to 12K - 14K weight. Can a 2016 3500 SW vehicle handle on a consistent basis towing a 12K goose neck tow hauler?
If you move down to 12K-14K max trailer weight, a 2500 will easily handle it so any 3500 would also.

If you go to a mega cab, that means a short bed so you will need the right hitch setup to make that work with a 5th wheel. Ultimate setup for that would be a reese sidewinder pin box for the trailer and a standard 5th wheel hitch to go in the bed.

·
Sasquatch
3,648 Posts
Even the 2500 will tow that new weight you suggested without an issue. The 3500 single rear wheel has a 7000 GAWR for the rear, the 2500 has a 6500 GAWR. The tow ratings are also pretty similar, the 3500 SRW is rated to tow around 1000-1500 more than the 2500.

If you do go for the 3500 SRW, I'd only go for it just to have the Aisin. The Aisin is just nice for the converter lockup in 1st gear and having the exhaust brake working even in 1st. The 68RFE is the way to go if you just want it to be smooth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, that is a lot of good information. And Yes I was interested in the Aisin transmission. And Yes I am mostly interested in a Mega Cab. And Yes I know I will need a Sidewinder setup. Anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had an 03 HO 6spd 4.10 dually and a triple axle 18k g neck that I frequently over loaded and the truck handled it very well. 4.10s is a big benefit for that much weight. Craig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes those 4.10 dually can haul some weight. I only use my truck, around 3 times a month, it is not a daily driver. I use it on weekends to take my motorcycles to locations. Park the truck unload the bikes and ride for a few days. Then hook up and go home. So I will probably stick with 3.73 for better mileage. I really prefer to not tow a vehicles max, so I would like a 16K rated setup, and I tow 12K. So keeping usage around 75%. With that in mind, I am looking for a nice 3500 SW 2015 - 2018 mega cab. But I am surprised at how well these trucks are keeping their value. When I bought 2006 in late 2010 I paid about 35% of new price. Now it seems they run about 50% of new price.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Yes those 4.10 dually can haul some weight. I only use my truck, around 3 times a month, it is not a daily driver. I use it on weekends to take my motorcycles to locations. Park the truck unload the bikes and ride for a few days. Then hook up and go home. So I will probably stick with 3.73 for better mileage. I really prefer to not tow a vehicles max, so I would like a 16K rated setup, and I tow 12K. So keeping usage around 75%. With that in mind, I am looking for a nice 3500 SW 2015 - 2018 mega cab. But I am surprised at how well these trucks are keeping their value. When I bought 2006 in late 2010 I paid about 35% of new price. Now it seems they run about 50% of new price.
There is no optional 3.73 or 4.10 on the SRW trucks, they are all 3.42, so if you want those you'll have to add them yourself and then tune.

And, a 2500 will be rated to tow 16K, so if you want a better riding truck you can go that route.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3.42 on the 3500 SW is only option ok that I did not know. Interesting, for some reason I thought the 2500 was 13.5 and the 3500 SW was 16K. I am just getting started on this, so I guess I need to do some better research. I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me. thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You're getting a 4X4, right?

Mine's rated to pull 17,200. There's an FCA app where you can enter a VIN and get its exact towing capability Ram Trucks - Towing & Payload Capacity Guide

I wouldn't get too excited about towing the 'max' They're at least 10% derated anyway. Especially on the 2500.

To another poster: And why is the GAWR on a SRW 3500 higher than on a 2500? Aren't the axles identical??

The Crew Cab doesn't have a carrier bearing. I think the MC does. I think the MC can tow less, too. But I wouldn't bet the Ranch on that one.

If that matters.

Listen to Ltng, he tows for a living.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really do not need a 4x4 and the related costs. I do not pull or tow in areas where it is worth the extra cost/repair. So ideally I was looking at a 2015 - 2018 Mega Cab 3500 SW 2WD. For some reason I thought the goose neck tow rating was 16K for that setup.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Andy Yes LTNG has answered a number of my posts, and I appreciate his time very much.
If it were me (It isn't, I understand that) I would look at buying new. FCA is (was) offering some pretty darn good deals like 6 years interest free payments, etc. Have you ever added up the difference in finance charges on a used vehicle vs a new one?? It can be mind-blowing.

Plus the fact that when you finish paying off a new vehicle, it still has a lot of value. A used one is often near the end of its life cycle when you're done with the payments.

And used Ram CTD's ain't cheap. Not the good ones. And who's to know if they're getting a 'good' one??

That's just a personal view of mine. You're gonna do what you think is best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good points. but I NEVER borrow money. I pay cash for everything. So yes I take on the risk of "used" vs new, but so far the lower cost has out weighed the repair costs. But as i noted before, I have not purchased any vehicle since late 2010. And it seems the Dodge CTD's are holding their value at a higher rate than it seemed they were in 2010. No matter what I would never borrow money, but I guess I need to go talk to a dealer and see what the cash price might be.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
good points. but I NEVER borrow money. I pay cash for everything. So yes I take on the risk of "used" vs new, but so far the lower cost has out weighed the repair costs. But as i noted before, I have not purchased any vehicle since late 2010. And it seems the Dodge CTD's are holding their value at a higher rate than it seemed they were in 2010. No matter what I would never borrow money, but I guess I need to go talk to a dealer and see what the cash price might be.
You don't have a house payment??

Good luck to you. I'm out

1 - 20 of 39 Posts