Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to know where to get traction bars and what else. anyone have any advice after looking at my mods... also thought about switching tires to STS super swamper's. got my first pull next month

·
THE Hood Stack Guy!
3,188 Posts
You can buy bars pretty easy, but most guys just build their own. As long as you have some sort of welding skills it simple. Just got to a Tractor supply and buy 2 3 point hitch bars, cut them in half and slid them inside of some 2" 1/4 wall tubing ( I think ) and weld it all up.

As for tires, STS's are nice, but Ive heard they dont last long. If you have good tread on the A/T's they should be fine. You only limiting factor is the size, not optimal, but doable.

Oh and i hope you have a double disc clutch!

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no double disk here not till this one wears out... so my A/T's are to wide.. no welding experience. need someone to make me some

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump need some info before july

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
im just going to tell you right now that i wouldnt be expecting to drive that truck home after the pull using a big single clutch...i want to pull so bad this year but im not going to until i have the money to put in a dual disk the day after the pull. i have seen so many guys here in kentucky rippin a roarin on the streets all day with some good power and not phase a big single clutch, but the minute they hook up at a pull, they are putting a new clutch in the next day.....it is possible that it will do okay, but its playing with fire, seriously.....which pull are you trying to pull at?? im not sure if you are going to try and be competitive or not but around here you have to have some big money in your truck just to be competitive even in the lowest classes, but it sure is fun to do....and my preferrence for tire size would be a 285 but thats just me.....hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the event is the oldham county fair. so a 285 on a 18"

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
if you want to you should come down to the shelby county fair next weekend the 14th. it will be a good one and you could either pull or watch and take notes...not too far away from you

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sell that single disc clutch and buy you a you a SOUTH BEND double disc clutch.
That single will be trashed after one hook to the sled. But if you want to pull with that single use 3rd gear 4low.

·
THE Hood Stack Guy!
3,188 Posts
You set up engine wise is good, in the work stock class. With the big tires and lift it is going to put a lot more stress on everything. With a set of tracton bars and a smaller lift your u-joints will love you a lot more. You can still pull with the lift but suspension blocks and traction bars should be a must or your going to bounce all over the track!

A duel disc in any oulling class is a must. i cant wait to pull, but I have to drive my truck everyday so its not getting hooked to a sled til theres 2 discs on my flywheel! I just got to stick to helping in the pits til I get enough $$$ to get one in.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont have a lift on my truck... anyone know where i can get some traction bars... guess i will get them then start saving for a dd and a turbo (factory is getting 47lbs with shaft play)

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is a good tire to go with size and brand wise after my toyo's are done

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
i absolutely love cooper discoverer stt's!!!! a little pricey but if you keep them rotated they will last a while for a mud terrain. they honestly might be a little grabby for a pulling truck but they look hella good.....pulling tire i would say a really aggressive all terrain!!

·
P-Pumped Beast
843 Posts
traction bars- if you are on DTR PM member "WFO" over there, he made mine and did an outstanding job on them and the cost can't be beat.

tires- if you plan to pull more in the future stick with an AT tire, and your drive train will appreciate it. the BFG AT is hard to beat, been used for years and is still one of the best and its street manners/life is also one of the best out there. there are other tires guys will prefer for pulling...but they are better suited on trucks that don't see road use.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what is the DTR websites address

·
Registered
661 Posts
i have heard of people on this forum pulling with a single disk and it holding up?....im gunna pull with my con fe its the best clutch i could afford...if it slips it slips...

·
P-Pumped Beast
843 Posts
i have heard of people on this forum pulling with a single disk and it holding up?....im gunna pull with my con fe its the best clutch i could afford...if it slips I'll be walking home or calling a towtruck

:$: yes people have done it, but more often than not...its ended badly

·
Registered
661 Posts
:$: yes people have done it, but more often than not...its ended badly
yea your right! and it would/will suck but like they say if you wanna play you gotta pay and im willing to pay the hard way to have some good fun...like i said it was the best clutch i could do around that time if i had the money i would have bought a dd....

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yep when i used to drag race mustangs the saying was "if you cant afford to go home with your head in a bucket you shouldn't be out here at all"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts