Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a 2010 and have been doing some research on these dpf/egr deletes. Want to know what all i need to do to delete these and still have the truck run normally, no codes ore anything. Also want to get a smarty and understand that it doesn't run the dpf anyways. So is it just a kit i can buy to delete the dpf and egr? and what else do i need to delete?

·
Registered
334 Posts
The cooler is the big thing on the pass side of the engine that mounts the exhaust manifold. I deleted it because my truck is out of warranty but on a new truck I would leave just in case you have to make a trip to the dealer for easy change over.

Smarty will give you everything you need to delete everything, theres only one problem......They havnt released anything for the 10+ trucks (that I know of)
You can get an h&s product though and it will do the same thing for emission delete. The xrt pro is comparable to smarty and the mini maxx and black maxx would be upgrades for sure.

All you need is a TBE, egr deletes (depends if you want the cooler gone or not) and a programmer.....You dont need to worry about any sims or anything like that with a good programmer (h&s or smarty)

hope that helps

·
Registered
553 Posts
take a look at Rollin' Smoke Diesel - Diesel Perfomance Parts they sell DPF delete kits that have the smarty or h&s programmers with the delete pipes or complete replacement exhaust systems. you need an EGR delete kit, which is just a plate. There are lots of threads on here with tons of info. But its pretty simple with about 4 hours worth of work to get it all done.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so what does the cooler do? And if all that stuff is deleted it should have no issues and no emissions stuff anymore. Wud it b kinda like my 07 5.9 as far as emissions goes?

·
Registered
553 Posts
All the cooler does is cool down the exhaust gases before they are put back into the intake, it also helps with the regeneration process for the DPF filter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I'm a little confused. Isn't that what an intercooler does? And why wud u want to delete that if it cools it down?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm talking about the EGR cooler, not the intercooler, two separate things. People here delete the EGR system which includes the EGR valve and cooler, that system introduces hot exhaust from the exhaust manifold thru the EGR cooler and valve back into the intake, this flow path is full of soot and is hot air, the soot craps up your oil and the hot air robs power. Removing the EGR system and DPF filter frees up the motor to run like a diesel should. The EGR system was designed to work with the DPF filter system, the two together reduce the "black smoke" from the truck by trapping the carbon soot in the DPF filter (which is in the exhaust system after the turbo) Once the filter is full the truck dumps extra fuel and uses the EGR system to raise exhaust temps significantly to burn off the soot that is clogged up in the DPF filter. This was all done to meet the EPA standards, removing this stuff makes the trucks run better and last longer, as long as you dont take that new found power and beat the crap out of your truck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So then if I delete the dpf what wud b the point of leaving the cooler on. Wouldnt it b useless at that point? And after the deletes are done will it run like my 5.9?

·
Past IL VP
1,431 Posts
it's all a decision you have to make, spend the time to remove the cooler, or just do the block offs! as far as it running like your 5.9, couldn't tell ya never rode in your 5.9! they are a differnt animal for sure, I'd say w/ the deletes, & the smarty. it should be fairly close to your 5.9 if it's the one in your sig!

happy hunting!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I would want everything removed but someone said to leave it on for warranty issues but I font see how the cooler could function with the dpf deleted?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well I would want everything removed but someone said to leave it on for warranty issues but I font see how the cooler could function with the dpf deleted?
If u block the cooler off from the egr then it does nothing. It is just there. Trust me you can delete everything and still leave the cooler (if you want) or you can delete the cooler too. With the cooler deleted it looks much cleaner for sure.

BUT on a new truck if you have problems the cooler is kinda a pain in the a$$ to put back on if u need to make a trip to the dealer for a recall or warranty fix or something. Just looking into the future a little bit......it's all up to you. There is a ton of info on this site so read it and make up your own mind.

Good luck with the new truck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts