Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New'b here. I'm sure you get this question asked all the time, but I used the search function with no real help.

What should I look for in a used Dodge Cummins? I read about dowl pins, cracked blocks, pumps, vin#'s, ball joints, etc., but I can't determine what to look for to identify most of these items. I do recall someone posting up a list better year Cummins, but can't seem to find it now. I know probably user error....Haha!

I want to most reliable year Cummins I can get. I'd probably do a few mods over the years, but nothing initially. I'll ultimately use it to tow my wheeler - Jeep (4,500lb), once I get a trailer.

How do I identify the dowl pin problem, and what years to stay away from?

How do I identify the block that is prone to cracking?

Which pumps fall under which year vehicle? Is there a way to easily inspect a used pump for reliability/abuse?

Any Vin# or #'s to look for/stay away from?

Any way to check ball joints with the truck on the ground?

Any way to determine if a truck has been beat? Tell tale signs.

Sorry for all the questions, but I like to research prior to purchasing.

Anyone near York, PA that can look over a truck before purchase? I know a good bit about Jeeps, but not so much about the Dodge Cummins.

Thanks,
Derek

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
89-93-VE pump
94- early 98- P7100, best one in these trucks
98.5-02-VP44, us guys runnin it have a love/hate relationship with it...:doh:
02-09-CP3 pump

as far as the cracking blocks and ball joints and KDP, and bad injector pumps these are all symptoms of 98.5-02 24 valve trucks...:doh:

so, ya can stay away from that, if i was you, i'd do a 2nd gen 12 valve, which were made from 94- early 98, they have the best pump, all mechanical, no worry of emissions for the most part either, but, they still can have the KDP and cracking blocks...

welcome to CF and enjoy yer search:thumbsup:, jes remember this:

ANY Cummins is waaay better than a stupid powerjoke or duracrap:headbang::lol4:

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks for the replies.....definitely helpful.

So, how do I identify a "53 block"?

Also, I've been reading that the '03's get the best gas mileage. What are your thoughts on the 2003+ models? Looks like they have the CP3 pump.....anything bad with regards to this pump, or these models in general?

· Registered
224 Posts
You'll find 53 blocks on the 98.5-02s and it will have 53 inscribed in the block. I have heard that the best mpg comes from the early commonrails (03-04) and the later 12 valves (97-98)

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I have a non-53 block 2nd gen 24valve.......
It's a very love hate relationship for sure.

If you just one reliable.... I wouldn't hold my breath and have an extended search for a low mileage manual twelve valve.
no auto trans will be reliable unless aftermarket (cept maybe the newest aisons)
the common rails are now being called (the new 12valve though) they are supposedly awesome, dunno only been around a few.

happy hunting
Frank

and welcome to CF

· Registered
143 Posts
ok sorry to hijack this for one question I keep hearing about this 53 block and is it only a 24v thing.

And back on topic I have rode and driven all gens except the newest one and the 1st gen like them all but i love the 12v for its simplesity. However my buddys with the newer ones like them because they can control power levels. Also I always like to stay with stuff thats been proven 12v was around for many many years for a reason.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
yup, the original 6B motor was used in Case tractors as far back as 85 or so....:thumbsup:

also, the 53 does affect some 12'ers as well...

· Registered
1,654 Posts
89-93-VE pump
94- early 98- P7100, best one in these trucks
98.5-02-VP44, us guys runnin it have a love/hate relationship with it...:doh:
02-09-CP3 pump

as far as the cracking blocks and ball joints and KDP, and bad injector pumps these are all symptoms of 98.5-02 24 valve trucks...:doh:

so, ya can stay away from that, if i was you, i'd do a 2nd gen 12 valve, which were made from 94- early 98, they have the best pump, all mechanical, no worry of emissions for the most part either, but, they still can have the KDP and cracking blocks...

welcome to CF and enjoy yer search:thumbsup:, jes remember this:

ANY Cummins is waaay better than a stupid powerjoke or duracrap:headbang::lol4:
since when did they put a cp3 in 02?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.