Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Looking to buy a new truck

667 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Moparman 
#1 ·
Hi all new here I have looking to get a new truck was wanting to know what kind of rebates are on the left over 2008s . Never owned a diesel this is all new to me ,not sure about the dodges auto tran. any problems . I have a 34 ft Fifthwheel camper I'll be pulling . Why Dodge over Ford or Chevy?

#2 ·
From what I heard the new 6-speeds in the 08s are really good, maybe not as nice as tha GM Allison but better than the Ford 5-speed. If you leave the truck stock the trans should tow that load no problem but start adding power and any trans is going to have trouble towing. As for the Cummins its definitly the best puller. It has the most low end grunt of of any of the Big 3 and makes its peak torque down at around 1600 rpm. This just my opinion, but the new Chevy and GMC heavy duties are the ugliest trucks I have ever seen. I dont see how anybody would want to have one, plus the have IFS, which does not belong on a heavy duty truck. I really like the new Ford exterior and interior, but the powerstroke is junk. Twin turbos and it makes the same hp/tq as the cummins and it makes its peak torque up around 2500 rpm, which is pretty much worthless when towing. Plus a Dodge will last the longest and get the best mpg. Me personally, I will never own anything but a Dodge Cummins, except maybe a Cummins powered F-250. Hope this helps

#4 ·
Pretty much sums it all up. The '08 3500 auto is the Orion 68RFE 6 speed, not quite as strong as the Aisin but it will handle up to 100hp more if you want to chip the motor.

Dodge is at the top of the heap in the one ton dually market, no question about it. I would have the 4500/5500 over Ford or Chevy as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.