Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, new to the 1st gens. I have been looking for one for about 3 months give or take. I love the look, I love the engine. I used to own a 99 2wd ¾ ton and loved the mpg it got, but ended up selling it and buying a ford 6.0… 2 fords later, and tired of EGR and Ford engineering, I have been looking at the first gens. So here is my issue/question. I am basically trying to convince myself to make the plunge. I have found a 1993 D350 dually club cab for 3k, looks to be in mostly good shape, I think it will need some front suspension work, but cosmetically and mechanically it is sound. I like my ford for these reasons: modern, 4wd, comfortable, reliable at the moment (I barely hit 100k miles the other day and it’s a 2006). I hate it for these reasons: MPG is awful, no matter how I drive it 12 mpg… Any time I have to work on it, it’s a super hassle because the way ford designs their equipment to be purposely hard to work on, for example changing the fuel filter instead of it being in the open next to the tank it is crammed up close to the frame behind hoses and FICM chip you have to take off dang near the whole top of everything. I know its not a matter of if but when my truck starts having problems. Sorry for the rambling but I’ve had some coffee today and pretty excited I have finally found a good deal. So do I buy the truck and work on it on the side? Are they good for daily drivers? Will I miss my modern truck? MPG satisfying? Is it easy to work on? Any thoughts are welcome! Hoping to pull the trigger on it soon before someone else does.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hey all, new to the 1st gens. I have been looking for one for about 3 months give or take. I love the look, I love the engine. I used to own a 99 2wd ¾ ton and loved the mpg it got, but ended up selling it and buying a ford 6.0… 2 fords later, and tired of EGR and Ford engineering, I have been looking at the first gens. So here is my issue/question. I am basically trying to convince myself to make the plunge. I have found a 1993 D350 dually club cab for 3k, looks to be in mostly good shape, I think it will need some front suspension work, but cosmetically and mechanically it is sound. I like my ford for these reasons: modern, 4wd, comfortable, reliable at the moment (I barely hit 100k miles the other day and it’s a 2006). I hate it for these reasons: MPG is awful, no matter how I drive it 12 mpg… Any time I have to work on it, it’s a super hassle because the way ford designs their equipment to be purposely hard to work on, for example changing the fuel filter instead of it being in the open next to the tank it is crammed up close to the frame behind hoses and FICM chip you have to take off dang near the whole top of everything. I know its not a matter of if but when my truck starts having problems. Sorry for the rambling but I’ve had some coffee today and pretty excited I have finally found a good deal. So do I buy the truck and work on it on the side? Are they good for daily drivers? Will I miss my modern truck? MPG satisfying? Is it easy to work on? Any thoughts are welcome! Hoping to pull the trigger on it soon before someone else does.
My two cents would be to (if you can afford it) buy it and then decide if you want to keep your ford as a daily. First gens are really cool, but you'll be losing a lot of the creature comforts of your 2006 ford! I personally have my first gen as a fun weekend toy and cruiser, and then use my 2006 ram as a primary work vehicle/road trip vehicle.

First gens are loud, ride rough, and are totally unrefined. Those are also the things that make them so damn fun to own. It's literally a tractor engine stuffed into an old dodge truck haha.

The price on the truck you're looking at sounds really solid, so go test drive it and see what you think. I know a lot of people that happily daily drive first gens with zero regrets!

Reactions: SlammedYam

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
My two cents would be to (if you can afford it) buy it and then decide if you want to keep your ford as a daily. First gens are really cool, but you'll be losing a lot of the creature comforts of your 2006 ford! I personally have my first gen as a fun weekend toy and cruiser, and then use my 2006 ram as a primary work vehicle/road trip vehicle.

First gens are loud, ride rough, and are totally unrefined. Those are also the things that make them so damn fun to own. It's literally a tractor engine stuffed into an old dodge truck haha.

The price on the truck you're looking at sounds really solid, so go test drive it and see what you think. I know a lot of people that happily daily drive first gens with zero regrets!
I daily drive my first gen and have no desire to buy anything else!!!! Gets ok mileage, has good power (I've surprised a few newer trucks pulling up a steep hill) and is a conversation starter, everyone has a story about these trucks kind of like owning an old bug. If you've owned an old vw you would know what I'm talking about. Literally my only complaint is the rough ride but that will be fixed with new springs when the budget allows.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Oh yeah I also forgot to add that with a first gen (especially a 2wd one) you'll be seeing some major mpg improvements over your 6.0 ford. I usually see between 17 and 23 mpg out of my 1993 d350. That's driving below 70mph though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay so I took the plunge today and bought a 92 D350 shows 194,000 miles and odometer works. No rust to speak of. Power steering pump leaks and runs out of fluid after about an hour give or take. It won't go over 55 mph down the road so I think there is a transmission issue. Also, there is an oil leak from somewhere lower in the engine but haven't found it yet. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Okay so I took the plunge today and bought a 92 D350 shows 194,000 miles and odometer works. No rust to speak of. Power steering pump leaks and runs out of fluid after about an hour give or take. It won't go over 55 mph down the road so I think there is a transmission issue. Also, there is an oil leak from somewhere lower in the engine but haven't found it yet. Thoughts?
I'll second the OD probably being the culprit. PS isn't too bad to replace, just make sure you get a quality unit and not a reman. As for the oil leak, unless you're loosing a noticeable amount of oil, I wouldn't worry about it. These 12v Cummins like to sweat haha

Congrats on the new rig!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all, I bought a 93 W250 Cummins a little over a year ago and have been running into some problems with it... I only recently started having the money to get it into the shape she deserves to be in. She's got a fairly new paint job (bright red), 4" body lift and stock pretty much everything else.
What I've done to it
So far, I've had to replace my turbo - not upgraded, just new. Alternator and battery (interstate 800 CCA). I saw some brake dust on my front right wheel the other day to find out I now need to replace my rotors and brakes (ordered from RockAuto and are in shipping ATM). I've also replaced my ignition lock cylinder, and ignition switch.
Problems I'm having
-I am having an electrical problem that is giving me (and the wife) a serious headache, where the old girl is draining battery while it's off. I can't leave it for more than two days without needing a jump. I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell is draining it. I know I have a short in my horn (it blows the fuse when I hit the horn) but I am nervous to take apart the steering column to find out what it is.
-My wiper arms are going limp (when I drive over 50, they are not fully seated on the windshield anymore) and no one has OEM replacements for them.
-My headlight socket has a broken plastic adjuster clip and I cant seem to find a new one so she doesn't look like she has a lazy eye anymore.
-My electrical system pulses (brightens and dims)
-Whenever I use my dash or headlights, the buzzer goes off - even when the engine's running.
What I want to do to it
-I desperately want to get rid of my stock exhaust system (it was designed horribly) and so it sounds better.
-I would love to get more HP out of her, but I don't want my MPG to get any worse than it already is.
-I want to change my body lift to a suspension lift
-Clean up the interior (new door panels, door seals, carpet, roof liner, etc.)

If anyone has an answer to the problems I've been having, please share! It would help the wife be less mad at me for buying the old beauty. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Beautiful truck!
LMC has the adjusters for the headlight if the local parts store does.
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
I'd unhook the battery if the truck sits for days till you fifure that one out
the lights pulsing is normal in the cold weather while the grid heaters cycle until the truck warms up...is yours doing it longer?
I might have a spare set of factory wiper arms. Let me know and I'll check.
and beautiful truck!
and these trucks usually get pretty good milage

·
Registered
108 Posts
Disconnect the negative cable from your battery. Take a test light and go between the negative post and the cable. Then start pulling fuses until it goes out. That's your current draw. Most cars have a little draw so the light will be really dim under normal circumstances but something that drains a battery in a couple days will have that test light burning bright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey all, I bought a 93 W250 Cummins a little over a year ago and have been running into some problems with it... I only recently started having the money to get it into the shape she deserves to be in. She's got a fairly new paint job (bright red), 4" body lift and stock pretty much everything else.
What I've done to it
So far, I've had to replace my turbo - not upgraded, just new. Alternator and battery (interstate 800 CCA). I saw some brake dust on my front right wheel the other day to find out I now need to replace my rotors and brakes (ordered from RockAuto and are in shipping ATM). I've also replaced my ignition lock cylinder, and ignition switch.
Problems I'm having
-I am having an electrical problem that is giving me (and the wife) a serious headache, where the old girl is draining battery while it's off. I can't leave it for more than two days without needing a jump. I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell is draining it. I know I have a short in my horn (it blows the fuse when I hit the horn) but I am nervous to take apart the steering column to find out what it is.
-My wiper arms are going limp (when I drive over 50, they are not fully seated on the windshield anymore) and no one has OEM replacements for them.
-My headlight socket has a broken plastic adjuster clip and I cant seem to find a new one so she doesn't look like she has a lazy eye anymore.
-My electrical system pulses (brightens and dims)
-Whenever I use my dash or headlights, the buzzer goes off - even when the engine's running.
What I want to do to it
-I desperately want to get rid of my stock exhaust system (it was designed horribly) and so it sounds better.
-I would love to get more HP out of her, but I don't want my MPG to get any worse than it already is.
-I want to change my body lift to a suspension lift
-Clean up the interior (new door panels, door seals, carpet, roof liner, etc.)

If anyone has an answer to the problems I've been having, please share! It would help the wife be less mad at me for buying the old beauty. Thanks all!
when mine was draining the battery it was because the glove box light was staying on while closed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Disconnect the negative cable from your battery. Take a test light and go between the negative post and the cable. Then start pulling fuses until it goes out. That's your current draw. Most cars have a little draw so the light will be really dim under normal circumstances but something that drains a battery in a couple days will have that test light burning bright

dumb question but is a test light the same as an multi-meter?

·
Registered
108 Posts
No. Multimeter will work on dc volts but a test light is easier to see a light go out. Unless you used jumper wires from inside the cab to the battery

·
Registered
59 Posts
New 1st gen Owner

Hey ya'll, I've been a member here for awhile now with my 3rd gen Cummins, but I just bought my first 1st gen, and I'm looking forward to getting into the 12valve world. I have been keeping my eye out for a 5spd 4wd 1st gen for awhile now, and they're getting harder and harder to come by, in decent shape. Finally found this one up in Alaska with 100k miles, so I jumped on it and paid for it to be shipped down to a port in Washington, so I can drive it home in a few weeks. I can't wait to get it home and check it all out! :party018:

Attachments

81 - 100 of 105 Posts