Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Anyone have any idea how much/ what kind of gear lube to use for the rear end of a 93 d350?
in terms of fluid weight, it depends on your climate and how much you plan on towing and working the diff. the more you work it and the hotter, the winner fluid weight you want. the opposite is true as well.

my 1993 FSM says the following:

Anticipated outdoor temps above 90:
sae 140
sae 80w-140
sae 85w-140

Anticipated outdoor temps -10 to 90:
sae 90
sae 80w-90
sae 80w-140
sae 85w-140

Anticipated outdoor temps below -10:
sae why would you live somewhere like this?
sae 75w
sae 75w-90
sae 80w
sae 80w-140

it also adds "a friction additive must be used in 8.25 and 9.25 limited slip differentials. Dana axles don't require any friction additive"

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got 80w 90. I don't drive it in the winter but I'm sure it'll be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm offering $9000. That is $3500 for the Boss Vplow and $5500 for the truck. It has no leaks. Maintained really well.

I'm hoping I'll get it and then be posting on the what I did to my 1st gen thread...

·
Registered
18 Posts
good luck and welcome!
Thanks, I've learned so much just lurking here for a week or so.

No opinions on the truck? With the research I've done, it seems like I could be getting a really good deal even though blue book tells me otherwise. Pricing on 1st gens seems like an anomaly in the auto market... In the end, a good deal is a state of mind. I was just hoping for some assurance and ideas of what others may expect to pay for a truck like this. I almost feel like it is one of those rare survivors that could be worth a bit more. Then again, it is a 23 year old truck. :flag1:

·
Registered
913 Posts
well as far as my opinion, I'm new to the Cummins (haven't even got mine yet), but I've had a D or W gasser series forever.
It looks like a really clean truck, how is it in person? I always heard that plows are really hard on the drivelines. Rebuilt trans, hows the rest seem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The inside is about as clean as the outside... Red interior, not even any rips in the seat.

Luckily I've had a chance to plow with this truck a few times and know the owner. He greases religiously and is a bush pilot/mechanic himself. The steering isn't tight, but I'd imagine it wasn't ever very tight. He did the u joints recently too. The thing is, this truck doesn't do much work if it isn't snowing. He just starts it and lets it run to keep it from sitting cold. In the summer it is kept in a barn.

I actually have more faith in that truck starting up every time than most that are a decade or two newer. So I know the truck fairly well and have spent good time in it. What I am not as familiar with, now that I'm buying it, is what I should actually pay for a truck like this. I've bought used before, but nothing vintage like this.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The inside is about as clean as the outside... Red interior, not even any rips in the seat.

Luckily I've had a chance to plow with this truck a few times and know the owner. He greases religiously and is a bush pilot/mechanic himself. The steering isn't tight, but I'd imagine it wasn't ever very tight. He did the u joints recently too. The thing is, this truck doesn't do much work if it isn't snowing. He just starts it and lets it run to keep it from sitting cold. In the summer it is kept in a barn.

I actually have more faith in that truck starting up every time than most that are a decade or two newer. So I know the truck fairly well and have spent good time in it. What I am not as familiar with, now that I'm buying it, is what I should actually pay for a truck like this. I've bought used before, but nothing vintage like this.

sorry I didn't chime in earlier today, but Ive been really busy. That looks like a really solid truck and the price is definitely good. Buying a plow truck would make me a bit uneasy in regards to front end components and frame stuff, but Im from Southern California so the whole snow plow thing itself is a bit foreign to me haha
Everything else seems to check out though on the truck, especially the fact that it has a current owner that cares for it and does regular maintenance.

also, I can assure you though that even brand spanking new the steering on these trucks isnt exactly tight and responsive, so don't let that stop you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the response, too.

Plow trucks do get used, but when used correctly they hold up ok. I've seen a few newer trucks break frames on curbs, but usually the plow is the weak point. I suppose if it was driven everyday with the blade on it that could wear on the suspension.

I'm going to continue using it as a plow truck too, so really its life won't be much different.

More eye candy... the other side.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did you end up buying the truck?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, I did!!!

I am loving her. Was a busy and stressful few days as it snowed right as I was getting the title and commercial insurance.

Actually spent a lot of the day diagnosing the plow today. I think the motor went. I replaced the solenoid and checked all of the connections. It gets used so it doesn't surprise me. The plow motor is like a starter that can run continuously. The guy that sold me the truck is bringing one tomorrow, so hopefully that is it.

The DMV tried to get me to re register it as a commercial vehicle. I went around and around with them for almost an hour and eventually got my title and kept the same registration. People are getting stupid out there, watch out.

The cummins fires up almost instantly even at near zero like it was last night. I plug it in just to baby it, but I don't think I need to. The tranny shifts really deliberate and strong. It is pretty fresh. I know I will wear it out sooner or later, but I go really easy on it. I already discovered I want an exhaust brake for coming down the mountain.

Funny, going up the mountain to do a job yesterday the engine didn't even seem like it had to work. It just climbs like a horse.

Is it even worth getting an alignment done on this baby?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Congrats on the new truck then!!

Glad to hear you're liking it so far. Trans thing is perfectly normal, I know my G360 doesn't like quick shifts at all. Slow and deliberate is the only way, especially when its cold. Way different from other manuals Ive driven, even my friends 3rd gen with a g56.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I learned that I'd love to have an exhaust brake coming down the mountain.

Worked on the plow more today. The motor is just shot. I cannot believe how hard it is to find brushes to rebuild a motor. They just want you to throw everything away and buy a new one these days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live in Vermont and want to find a rust free (or mostly rust free) 1st gen, I have all 50 states selected on my craigslist and have only found about 8 trucks that fit what I'm looking for, they all could use a little work which is fine, and they range from $4500-$16,000. But is there any better way to find these trucks? And what would you recommend for actually beginning to contact someone with a truck that's 2500 miles away?

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you can find someone you know, or even on this forum that could lay eyes on a truck you find, that would be better than taking an unknown seller's word, or wasting your time traveling.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts