Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a contract for hot shot service, and well they told me to get a 1 ton cause they pay more, however what should i get? I like the idea of a new one cause of issues, within 100k miles you are cover but on the preowned well i have my doubts. I have mixed feelings about an automatic cause i had a horrible experience with my 06 megacab, 3 transmissions within a year.. i think it had to do with bully dog crazy larry and 5" exhaust somewhere along those lines.. For all that have been towing or not what would you recommend? it's hard enough to find a megacab standard transmission and the one that i found happens to have 3.42's on it.. So i am very excited and they told me to get a gooseneck hitch for it as it would save me a lot of headaces.. B&W seems to be the preferred.. any feedback comments is greatly needed and appreciated.

Thanks.:peelout

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
The 68RE is twice the tranny the 48RE ever dreamed of being. Don't be afraid of the new auto.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Yeah the new tranny is nice. The mega cabs are a little stange to me when you slap a gooseneck in there though cuz the beds soooo short.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the new tranny is nice. The mega cabs are a little stange to me when you slap a gooseneck in there though cuz the beds soooo short.
Well that's what i was told, but they also said, if you can drive a long bed with a gooseneck, you won't have any problems.. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 68RE is twice the tranny the 48RE ever dreamed of being. Don't be afraid of the new auto.

I have read a pletora of replies that you have submitted and I like the responses you have made, very informative, As i mentioned my friend is a service manager at the dealer where i go and he said that not a single transmission has gone in for warranty or lack there of repairs. at all.. he did say that there is a bug on the turbo, but that it's became a one day in and out.. So you are very confident on the auto? I like the fact you don't have to shift gears.. been doing that for a looooong time.. lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the B&W set up, really like it. I like being able to haul feed and then strap onto a trailer without any broken feed sacks from the boys at the loading docks. Granted I only have a 3/4 I love the auto, no issues pulling tractors, feed, or family around so far. You just have to factor in cost of a new truck, and how much are you going to have to pull and how far to pay for it and make a profit with the fuel cost going thru the roof.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I drove over 4 million miles in a big truck before I retired so I have never been a fan of a stick in my personal auto unless it was a muscle car. I was ok with the 48RE but I absolutely love the way the 68RE works.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am really wanting to buy the automatic, and there are a certain few that said they have automatics and wish they got the standard. What to do?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have to agree this new tranny is really nice to have I have a 3500 non dually and I haul any thing with no problems just the other day I actually pulled a empty tractor and trailer with no problem at all and if you ever wanted to convert your megacab into a long bed theres companies out there that do it and they look and drive really good:beer

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This means this new transmission is very good.. maybe i'll go with the auto.. what gear ratio do you recommend?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
with the auto you should be just fine with the 3.73s. Some like the 4.10s better to keep the rpms up a little.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3.73's from what i am gathering these new autos have very good ratings.. wonder if there is someone here that tows plenty of loads with the auto

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The auto works great pulling heavy loads, especially with the manual shift button, you can always put it in the gear you want if you want to keep your rpms a little higher for hilly areas. As far as the mega-cab and the gooseneck goes, it all depends on what kind of trailer you will be pulling, I pull a lot of stock trailers and they have a very wide neck on them and they wouldnt do well with the mega-cab because I assure you that the trailer would hit the cab on some tight turns. BUT if you are going to be pulling a flatbed trailer that has a much narrower neck or tongue (whatever you want to call it) then you shouldnt have a problem. Like I said it just all deopends on what you are going to be pulling. And they do make what they call slider balls for the mega-cabs that allwos the ball to shift when you make tight turns and it allows for more clearance, I dont know how well they work, I have never used one, I just know that they are out there.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slider balls? Never heard of that. but for the GN's i will be pulling are just flat beds, usally for pipes and pallets worth of equipment.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
don't know where you are in texas, but if you decide to go with the manual, give Benny Boyd in Lampasas a call. that's where i bought mine, and they always ahave tons of standard trans. when i bought mine in october they literally had 10-12 megacab dually's with the standard trans. that's not counting all the other configurations. check their site online. good folks to deal with anyway. they also have someone that does the longbed conversion and they'll warranty it too. the website shows that they have 5 '08 dually's with the manual, and still have 2 '07 dually's with the manual trans. all mega cabs. info
601 NORTH KEY AVE
LAMPASAS, TX 76550
Phone: (512) 556-4880

G

·
I'm not 100% on this, but I don't thing there is an option on gears, unless maybe if you ordered it. Auto mega cab duallie come with 3:73's. I did alot of looking and research before I bought mine, and every auto mega cab I looked at had 3:73's. And now that I think about it, it seem like most of the quad cab duallies had 4:10's. I love mine though, and I think I could pull my house off the foundation if I wanted to. Just my .02.:thumbsup

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 58,000 miles on mine, 85% towing rv's, horse trailers, cargo ect... The only issue I have is the torque converter clutch. It's working properly, but I don't like the way it slips while it's locking up. I know its suppose to do that, mine hasn't gotten any worse than the day I bought it, but I think it will be the weak link in the tranny. Especially with power adders. I have a powerpup... I show it a little mercy when I think it's gonna lock. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
for the '07 6.7, you could get 3.42 or 3.73 with the manual trans, and 3.73 or 4.10 with the auto. the way the standard is geared, it works out that the 3.42=3.73, and 3.73=4.10 with auto. for the '08 you can now get the manual or auto with the 4.10 or 3.73. and, i believe they stopped offering the 3.42 with the manual.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
for the '07 6.7, you could get 3.42 or 3.73 with the manual trans, and 3.73 or 4.10 with the auto. the way the standard is geared, it works out that the 3.42=3.73, and 3.73=4.10 with auto. for the '08 you can now get the manual or auto with the 4.10 or 3.73. and, i believe they stopped offering the 3.42 with the manual.
I think that is just backward. You couldn't get 3.42 with a manual till 2008. They just came out. I wanted them in my 2007 and they weren't available.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I know. I test drove a new 6.7 with the 68RE and I wish my truck had one. :CRY:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts