Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Looking into a cap for my truck, any recomendations?

2796 Views 18 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  flyinfreddie
Tried doing a search for caps, but returned no results. Anyway I was looking at a Leer, or ARE. Any suggestions would be great, pics even better! Looking for something sleek, not commercial looking.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Bummer, can't see the topper very good. The Leer would have been my other choice except for two handles to open the door.

· Registered
155 Posts
Jdogg - sweet truck. Just to hijack a bit, what exhaust is that?

Here's mine. Specs in my sig. I've had the shell on for over a year now and it's been really nice. They matched the factory paint beautifully. No complaints and I'd recommend one to a friend. Sorry 'bout the distant pics. They're the only ones I've got uploaded to my photobucket at the moment.

· Registered
155 Posts
Hey dummy is that the truck from Diesel Power? Modifications that won't void your warranty truck?
Yeah, that's me. However, after 37K miles I'm fed up with the arbitrary mileage and seemingly-constant regens. Time for a "modifications that WILL void your warranty" series if ya know what I mean.

· Registered
961 Posts
Lol. Nice. I seen the walker evans wheels. There isn't to many people running them. Only other guys I know running them are a few from Carli. Truck looks good. I know what you mean. I made it almost 17,000 miles and 5 months before I couldn't handle the silence anymore. Been dpf/cat/egr free since last march. Just about to roll over 51,000 Miles with no issues from my XRT.

· Registered
94 Posts
I also have the LEER Works great

· Registered
125 Posts
I wanted my canopy dollars to stay in the U.S. so I purchased the ARE. They have had higher ratings than Leer. Although I've heard good and bad about Leer, I've heard nothing but good things about ARE.

· Registered
5,872 Posts
All I can say is to figure out what you want and then wait and find it used. These things are so expensive but they do not hold their value at all. If you have never had a cap before then initially they are nice but many of us get tired of having them on there. We pull it off and store it for a couple months or years and eventually sell it for $200 when it cost $1500 new. This is not always the case but it holds true for many many people. I have one in storage right now. Mine's a high topper though. I like the looks of all the ones posted here but there's really not that much room to get back there and work. I can almost stand up in mine...

· Registered
196 Posts
Hey dummy is that the truck from Diesel Power? Modifications that won't void your warranty truck?
goog observation - First thing I thought too.
especially liked the article where they were going to put on the fitch fuel preperator but couldn't because had to take the truck to the dealer for emissions problems.....

I've got the leer with the smooth sided windows - like it. hear are's are better but liked the look of the leer. when bot it had special got alot of options - if had to do it again would pass on the inside light and roof rack rails...the removable front glass and clothes rack options are nice.

· Registered
155 Posts
goog observation - First thing I thought too.
especially liked the article where they were going to put on the fitch fuel preperator but couldn't because had to take the truck to the dealer for emissions problems.....
Actually, I took the Fitch off every time before bringing the truck in for service. My dealer isn't mod-friendly at all. They even looked at me cross-eyed when they saw my Amsoil bypass cap in the valve cover. :confused013:

Regardless, to sorta get this back on track - if you start comparing shells you may want to consider little amenities that'll make your life easier. Couple things to consider:

1-Does shell front window drop out for cleaning (rain, etc collect between the cab rear and shell front windows and visibility suffers after a while)
2-Does the lift-hatch lock and is the key/handle flush (carwash, etc can grab them)
3-Adjustability of lift hatch brackets. (if you take the shell on/off a lot it can be a pain 'cause you usually have to adjust the latches for correct closing)
4-Sliding side windows for ventilation if you leave your dog in there or plan on sleeping inside it for camping
5- Headliner or bare fiberglass? If you've ever hit your head on hairy, unfinished fiberglass you'll know why I'm asking
6- Warranty? Most of the better ones offer lifetime warranty, but it's usually for original owner. Not always valid if you buy it used.

· Registered
124 Posts
I've owned both a Leer(on my old Dakota) and now ARE on my Ram.
I like the caps, especially for the winter. Summer time, I like to go topless...chores around the house, always hauling project stuff, haul my bike too sometimes...

I concur with the suggestion on looking for used. I picked up my current ARE Z cap for $400 on Criagslist. It's in great condition, just needed to be painted. My buddy painted it for free. This is a lined cap, nicer windows and flip fown front for cleaning. Retail on this cap would be $1300.

Good luck to you.

· Registered
17 Posts
I had a Leer Model 100 on the '01 GMC I traded-in, leaked like crazy. I'm still runnin' topless (tarp & spider-web cargo net) an wishin the wife was too!

· Registered
33 Posts
I like the ATC topper good quality honey comb construction like the ARE and perfect color match all for a reasonable price. 1100 out the door.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.