Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Looking for tuner

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  2kcumminsvp44 
#1 ·
Im driving a 2001 24valve and im looking for a good tuner but I dont know what to get there are so many options

#3 ·
Do you already have the supporting mods for a programmer? You can't just plug one in and expect the truck to be able to handle the extra torque without having problems.

Your transmission needs upgrades, the automatics barely hold up long term with factory power levels. If you are lucky enough to have a manual transmission you can just throw in a heavier clutch and be done with that part. You will also want gauges, whether that means getting a programmer that has the gauges built into the controller, or getting a pillar pod.

Critical gauges are EGT, Boost, and fuel pressure. Also transmission temperature if you have an automatic. Sometimes even good to have the transmission temperature on a manual transmission if planning on towing heavy while using the tuner.

Last but not least I see this is your first post and you recently joined. The most important thing to do is search and read the forum, that is the best thing about online forums, nearly everything has been asked and answered over the years with many folks reporting on what works and what doesn't work well together.

Important things to read about are fuel pressure requirements for the injection pump, transmission upgrades, installing gauges, then start reading threads on tuners.

#4 ·
I run Quadzilla IQUADBT, so you have full gauges and can custom tune later if you want.

Its less expensive and has most usable features.

#5 ·
If you really want to dig in to what the motor can do, Quadzilla will give more adjustability than you can shake a stick at. Whatever screen you choose will have gauges on it. If you want something simple, plug and play as stated earlier, an Edge EZ or smarty S-03 will give you an extra kick in the pants but you will want some gauges. If you want more than a simple kick in the pants, I am running an Edge Juice with the color touch screen. It has gauges on the screen but requires you to tap your VP44 pump for maximum power. It's not difficult but I also opted to use a BD diesel stealth cover. It makes tapping the VP much easier. I am on my 3rd Edge tuner, I kept getting different ones for more power/options, never had an issue with any of them though.

#7 ·
This question solely depends on what you want to do with the truck. I personally went with a Edge Juice with Attitude CTS2. because I wasn't looking to get crazy and I have a tunner lined up who knows these motors.

Honestly 2 of the best tunners are the Edge JWA and the Quadzilla. Those are the only tunners to my knowledge that have a VP44 tap and if you plan to really do anything over like 300hp you have to tap that pump.

If you want all out HP and to run the truck hard I would go with the Quadzilla it has tons of options and you can take your truck right to the breaking edge on it. However you can also hurt the truck if your trying to tune yourself and or download someones tune that didn't do something right.

If you go with a Edge JWA it has 5 set lvls when you buy it. You can safely turn this up to lvl 3 on a stock motor with lvl 3 low boost fueling. If you decide you want more I would look into getting a better VP44. I suggest talking to Blue Chip Diesel for this.

Any one of the tunners have options for a small display unit. I would spend the extra money for the safety features in these. As you don't really have to watch the gauges all the time if you set up the warnings correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.