Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2006 ram 3500 g56 0.5 bbi injectors
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a related forum but cant seem to find one close to my setup. I'm looking to get some reliable performance out of my 06 3500. The truck without a trailer hooked to it is sitting at 11,000 lbs. I have a 15k 5th wheel I pull for work purposes. Fully loaded im sitting around 26,000 lbs (I know, kinda pushind the limit of the truck) the truck pulls it well but when I get to hills the egts get hot quick and I have to really watch how the peddle gets pushed. The truck has a g56 swap, sb dual disk clutch, head studs, fass 100, bbi .5 injectors, tunes from Rob at mm3tuning.com, pack break, s&b intake,4" turbo back exhaust and air bags. I've found some people like the DPS stocker S475 compound turbo with the standard transmission but is there a better way to start with the stock turbo or possibly a single turbo that is good with the g56 and hauling heavy? I'm also considering the fast cooler add on for the transmission

Thanks in advance.

I should also add that power driven diesel said that their he351 60/67/9 turbo would be a good choice for towing. Any experience with that turbo or maybe they are trying to sell their product?

· Vendor
13,019 Posts
Compounds are going to make a huge difference. So much more efficient and cooler EGT's. You already have head studs and extra capacity for fuel so the other supporting mods will not be too expensive.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a dps stocker over s475 with a 1.15 exhaust housing for a quicker spool up. I went with the dps because it works with my pacbrake and downpipe. Driving around town a couple times the egts are so much cooler. She doesn't move much in the winter, you know, salt and all. I'll be pulling with it come the end of March or beginning of April for work. The tow tune is going to put the truck right around 400hp, I'm hoping I can push that little pedal on a hill now and keep my eyes on the road and not on the egts.

· Premium Member
1,369 Posts
You should really enjoy your new compound set-up but DO continue to monitor your EGT's, just sayin'.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should really enjoy your new compound set-up but DO continue to monitor your EGT's, just sayin'.
I watch the egts the most. It's always the one that worries me, especially because there is no agreement on what the max temperature should be. I've been told you can hit 1250 and hold it for 30 seconds or so and I've been told these trucks can run up to 1450 with no worries. I just play it safe and back it off at the 1250 degree mark.

· Registered
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega-Cab Cummins
2,792 Posts
I’d definitely recommend getting the trans coolers. There will be a lot of heat building up with that power going up hills.

Reactions: Ianhintze
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.