Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured there'd be lots of guys with towing experience on this forum.

Got a cargo trailer that's a few inches over 8' outside, haven't hooked to it yet with my newly acquired 08 which is undergoing a bunch of servicing and some upgrades, but suspect I'll need some extended mirrors of some type.

I learned not to buy the cheap crap just to get by a couple years ago for my Durango. Totally useless.

Retired so can't just throw boatloads of money at something, but I'm sure there's something out there that works at a reasonable cost.

I suppose the best is to get mirrors that permanently replace the stock ones? My existing ones are power but not sure if they're heated - just got the truck and haven't driven it much cuz I've been servicing it and doing some mileage related updates. Still learning all the buttons and controls, and it's in the shop today
getting a new belt and pullies and getting the grid cleaned. It's nasty cold around here lately and my garage is too full to get it in, so took it to a good local shop.

Trouble is, I don't have a lot of time so need something that installs fairly easily. Need to take off on a long towing trip this next Wednesday. So busy with all the other stuff it just never crossed my mind before.

Thanks for any tips!

EDIT: Pretty near ashamed to even ask about something like this, but here goes - I have maybe half dozen trips for a total of 15k miles to do for this towing, then don't expect to need them at least on a regular basis. This would at least be quick to put on.

http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/cipa-clip-on-towing-mirror

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
i would suggest original dodge tow mirrors. would take probably 10 min to install each side. thats without prior experience. x1 10mm bolt to remove the interior door handle, x4 phillips screws to remove the door panel, x3 10mm nuts to remove the mirror. takes 3 min if you know what you're doing.

original dodge mirrors fold out to be used as tow mirrors, and fold in for everyday driving (unless you like the rad look of them folded out for daily driving :thumbsup:)

you can get them power-adjustable and heated.

folded out looks like this:

folded down looks like this:

this is the heated mirror switch:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading some of the reviews of aftermarket clone mirrors that said they vibrated some, oem's are probly the best mirror, as usual. And they were North of $200 even for them.

However, the first site I found oem's at were - even with a $150 "discount" from suggested retail - an astounding $400 + a bunch! Yikes!

Finally found a set for an even $300.

Still debating, have only about a half dozen, altho quite lengthy, trips pulling a 102" wide cargo trailer.

Just for S's & G's I put a tape to the stock mirrors and the outer edges weren't even 8'. So gonna need something for sure.

I checked and my power mirrors are heated, but didn't get lucky enuf to have oem towing mirrors.

If I was still working I wouldn't think twice, but being retired - - well, $300 is a heck of a lot bigger chunk out of my month's social security than it would have been out of a week's paycheck.

As much as I hate to even think of it, sometime around fall 2015 I'll probly have to sell this truck and my 2 large trailers after I get done moving and hauling the biggest bundles of material for my house. I do have a 5.9 SLT Plus Durango that I have tweaked a little and really like, so being I won't need all that pulling power or need even a smaller tow rig at all very often, that's probly the direction I'll go. At least then the tow mirrors would be a good selling point.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't think the guy wants to drop 600 bucks on mirrors when he said 300 hundred is a big chunk...and I'm with him...if your gonna sell it I say just get the clip on mirrors and roll with it..you could buy a couple gallons of diesel with the savings...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
143 Posts
So, I'm a little confused, I thought all 2500's and 3500's came with the flip up tow mirrors, please don't take this wrong but have you tried to fold out your current mirrors, or are you saying that they are still not wide enough when they are folded out?.
Sorry if I missed something.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My 2500 didn't come with tow mirrors.. I got them for a hell of deal from a mopar dealer on ebay.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
So, I'm a little confused, I thought all 2500's and 3500's came with the flip up tow mirrors, please don't take this wrong but have you tried to fold out your current mirrors, or are you saying that they are still not wide enough when they are folded out?.
the greater majority of 2500 and 3500 trucks came with the flip-up tow mirrors, but not all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Might want to check out a salvage yard or two........

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just went out and checked again and, nope, the good mirror fairy unfortunately didn't swap them out for tow mirrors overnite.

Yes, the ~$475 mirrors are about $300 over my (retirement) budget after having spent so much getting the truck shaped up mechanically.

I've got just 1 long tow starting this coming Wednesday, but then will have a month or so before I have a couple more, so will check out the salvage yard angle. Have done that before for other things and it sometimes works if you have enuf lead time. In the meantime, will have to go the cheap route just so I'm legal and can at least see a little something being I have 4 big cities to go thru.

Thx for all the input!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.