Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Well, got wrapped up in the seat...spent several hours cleaning it and then pulled the brackets off for paint. I was pulling sludge out of this seat from a 1992...I must have cleaned each section five times before it would only pull "slightly" dirty (not clean) water/foam. It actually changed colors!

20200628_120446.jpg

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Acquired another 727 and NP205...mainly for the 727. First time I've spoke to an actual 1st gen and all around Cummins guy, was a good conversation.

So at this point, unless it would appear for peanuts; I'm done buying drivetrain for a while...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I did drop the pan and change the filter and fluid (much nicer experience with a drain plug). Pan had some minor sludge and the magnet did also, but not all that bad (but is was only about 75 hours of drive time). Did the band adjustments just because I was in there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Got my coolant filter installed. Pretty easy, just took time to find a good place for the mount and to route everything. I used Parker hose that I had left over from my 04.5, found the PO installed a piece of 3/4" (explains why it leaked even after tightening), I though they had but couldn't read the size until today. I confirmed the vacuum valve works, reinstalled that and got rid of a kink.

I did drill out the hole in the first filter, at least for this first one I wanted to get as much flow through the system as I could, I'll leave the restriction in the future.

Tried to back flush the heater core too, not to much debris either way and good flow.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #246 (Edited)
Pulled my vacuum pump and power steering pump today. Got all the pieces, but had to order the bolt to push the power steering pump off the vacuum pump; nobody had an m14x2.0 in 12.9. It's hung in the garage to drain overnight, will start to strip tomorrow in the basement AC.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #248

Save reposting the same thing...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Grrr, new pump (Cardone) leaked worse than the original. Completely dry sitting overnight, this was a bad reservoir seal.

I ordered one through the local Napa and did it all again this afternoon and so far this one isn't leaking.

I've probably bought my last parts from Rockauto, this makes probably time number four or five I've gotten a bad deal from them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
After many delays, I finally got the rear suspension done. So front is D200C (which are rebadged D400 gasser springs) and the rear is DR60, all spring, no block. Bilsteins at all four corners. It gave a nice barely noticeable rake to the front, gained about an inch over the stacked blocks that came out.

I also found all the bushings were pretty much toasted, it had worn the front hanger on both sides, but it tightened down fine. I had to cut the bolts off to get things apart, I used a combination of a 4-1/2" angle grinder with cutoff wheels and a die grinder with an arbor and 4" wheels.

Knowing that I'd end up cutting the bolts and that the shackles would be trashed, I ordered 5/8" grade 8 bolts and new shackles from ATS. So cut the old off, install with all new.

I did find that my rear springs were actually 3/4" bushings with a steel sleeve to bring them to 5/8".

It does ride a lot better, that must have helped the caster as it tracks dead straight.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #251 (Edited)
Well, found a (local) guy in Maryland selling a batch of Dodge odds and ends. So I bought what he had, thinking only the body parts would be useful. Turned out that besides the RC he owned, he had owned a 1st gen Cummins! I got new brake shoes, caliper hardware, ujoints, new Raybuck rocker panel, and a whole Precision seal kit NIB! I also got a core support that is like new, a hood, cowl, and filler panel, among other things. Not a bad haul for $100 and gas for my Silverado!

241 - 251 of 251 Posts