Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a used truck and my first thought why not get a Diesel so i started looking and i looking at preformance parts also but i don't know what to get? I really don't know the difference between the Cummins 12 Valve and the 24 Valve. I am also looking for something that i can decently get some power out of, still tow my toys around in, but then also get good gas mileage in when i am driving back and forth to work. So any suggestion would be helpful.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
sounds like what you want a 12v with the 5spd. easier and cheaper to get power out of, great injection pumps and they get pretty good gas milage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What Year Trucks Does that come in or is that also in the Newer Trucks

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have two 12v, one 24v, and two 5.9s in my family and the 12v are the ones that last longest...one has almost 350k miles on it the other has 200k miles on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking to spend around $25,000 and i really wanted something under 75,000 Miles if i could find it

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
hmm you could easily get yourself into a 3rd gen which is alot more comfortable but the programmers for power can get expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Performance was more of a second thought i really wanted a reliable good running truck

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
get a 97 or early 98 12V, they are stone cold reliable, even with preformance mods, i have seen many many 12V's with over 600k, but make sure it has a 5-speed manul in it, the autos are not too great when you add power, just upgrade the clutch in the manual and you'll be set, i doubt you'll find one with the low low mileage you want, but well taken care of and maintained trucks run forever:thumbsup

·
Registered
121 Posts
get a 97 or early 98 12V, they are stone cold reliable, even with preformance mods, i have seen many many 12V's with over 600k, but make sure it has a 5-speed manul in it, the autos are not too great when you add power, just upgrade the clutch in the manual and you'll be set, i doubt you'll find one with the low low mileage you want, but well taken care of and maintained trucks run forever:thumbsup
Well if you want to say a manual is better??? well it can be stock form. When you start modifying the trans I think that it is a draw. My 47re is great but I do have DTT TQ and VB and Billit internals.

·
Registered
861 Posts
We have two 12v, one 24v, and two 5.9s in my family and the 12v are the ones that last longest...one has almost 350k miles on it the other has 200k miles on it.
ummmmm they are all 5.9s. does that mean you have 5 of these trucks? or am i just lost....
but anyway, you can find a 97/98 12 valve for easily 10-12 grand that will last you til the day you die. but 25,000 can get you a nice new truck that you can throw programmer on just for a good amount of power :thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks For all the help guys any more stuff would be great i am new to the diesel world and i am trying to learn as much as i can. I just love the Black Smoke and the Sound of the Turbo wind up and that is what is drawing me to Diesel and away from a Hemi.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I would say find a 97 or 98 for 10-12k and spend the rest on making a monster out of it!!!!!

with 25k you would have a reliable, daily drivable, rocket ship!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts