Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new here. I am looking for a cummins diesel and i wanted to know everyones opinion on what i should buy. Im kind of limited on money (see poor college student) by what i can sell my Mustang Bullitt for. Im thinking of buying a truck somewhere in the 10k range. i know i want a 4x4 with a quad cab and preferable short bed and a 5spd if i can.

What are your suggestions?
What year?
12v or 24v?
what to look for when i look at one?

I have never owned or even driven a diesel before so tips would be awesome.

I will be using it to haul a horse trailer / pick up hay that sort of thing.

thanks guys!!:beer

Brett

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump....

anyone??

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
With 10K, I'd be shopping for a mid-90's 12 valve; preferably from a sun belt state..

·
Registered
203 Posts
:agree2:

If I were to look for one today I would be doing that ^^^

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i am in california so im not too worried about rust.

also, is it just me or are the 3500 dually's cheaper? seems like most of them that i see are cheaper than 2500s

If i am looking at one with 150k what should i look for?

thanks so far guys

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
are you wanting 2 or 4wheel drive? mpg important to you? how many horses (how big of horse trailer?)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have a 2500 2wd for sale...But it would be hard to get it for a penny less than $10,500

email me for more details oh and I am in GA...

·
Registered
283 Posts
i bought my truck with 175k on the clock with some slight rust on the bottom of the doors for 10k. that was with 4x4 and automatic. the 10k is nice, until i got gauges($260) which then told me i needed a new lift pump(airdog100 $550) and so on. so it ended up costing me more. if i was you, i would look for a mid 90's 12v like said above, do a few pump mods to give her more juice(i had to buy a programmer for $250) and you'll be really happy. i have a buddy with a 12v with the smoke screw turned up and thats it adn its a really nice truck to drive. while i have more power than he does, it cost me a lot more to get there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i would look in to a mid to late 90s (if you can find it) 12v they are great motors and cheaper to fix and tune

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are you wanting 2 or 4wheel drive? mpg important to you? how many horses (how big of horse trailer?)
right now i just have two horse bumper pull. but as soon as money permimts im looking at a 3 horse gooseneck hopefully.

i would prefer 4wd and mpg is somewhat important but not a huge deal, i drive a mustang right now which does not get very good mileage...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
well if you are not going to be pulling a significant amount of weight and you are trying to save some on fuel i would stay away from a dually from what i have experienced the dually's consume more fuel and if you aren't pulling a lot of weight all the time they are unnecessary

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed. But yeah, I'm kinda seeing what you're saying too.. the 3500s seem to be a bit cheaper.. what gives?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well if you are not going to be pulling a significant amount of weight and you are trying to save some on fuel i would stay away from a dually from what i have experienced the dually's consume more fuel and if you aren't pulling a lot of weight all the time they are unnecessary
Yea i assumed that mileage would be down a little. plus i dont know if i want to be driving a truck that size as my DD. i think that my best bet is a 2500 with a 12v. i guess now it is just a waiting game until one comes up for sale that suits my needs/limitations.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
i bought my truck with 175k on the clock with some slight rust on the bottom of the doors for 10k. that was with 4x4 and automatic. the 10k is nice, until i got gauges($260) which then told me i needed a new lift pump(airdog100 $550) and so on. so it ended up costing me more. if i was you, i would look for a mid 90's 12v like said above, do a few pump mods to give her more juice(i had to buy a programmer for $250) and you'll be really happy. i have a buddy with a 12v with the smoke screw turned up and thats it adn its a really nice truck to drive. while i have more power than he does, it cost me a lot more to get there.
If you get a mid 90's you will not need any programmer since you could not use programmers until after 95.5 (late 2nd generation) 95.4 and earlier did not use programmers. If you are interested in being able to change programs get something after July 1995, and the last 12V came off of the line on 27 Dec 1998. So I would say look for something in the 97 98 range. Engines had more HP, the pump was rated higher, injectors larger, and better looking cab and interior. Just my 2 cents, and :welcome: Plus you will bypass the Killer Dowel Pin problems

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you get a mid 90's you will not need any programmer since you could not use programmers until after 95.5 (late 2nd generation) 95.4 and earlier did not use programmers. If you are interested in being able to change programs get something after July 1995, and the last 12V came off of the line on 27 Dec 1998. So I would say look for something in the 97 98 range. Engines had more HP, the pump was rated higher, injectors larger, and better looking cab and interior. Just my 2 cents, and :welcome: Plus you will bypass the Killer Dowel Pin problems

Thanks for the welcome! i have heard of programmer type things(banks, etc) what about things like predator tuners? i had one for my mustang and have seen them for diesels...

What should i plan on doing when i do get one? i keep seeing guages as a first mod, exhaust gas, fuel pressure, and boost. would you guys consider those a requirement when towing etc.

you guys are awesome!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the difference in mileage with a dually compared to a single?

·
Registered
327 Posts
My thoughts on the dually prices are that the dually are probably more of a work horse meaning that they're not going to be in the as good shape as the 2500s?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts