Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a dual disk cause I wanna launch like RobP:thumbsup Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (brand, material, or even pros and cons of a dual disk) Thanks in advance.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
Im running a Southbend Dual disc with a 3250 plate load and 6cb's. sprung. from what i have seen and heard from Peter the 12cb's dont slow down as fast as the 6cb due to rotating mass. so that will enable you to shift faster. let me know if i can be of any other help.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love my HMR Street Drag...I have not had it to the track but around town it shifts faster then stock IMHO
it is a 6puck solid hub
SBC or Haisley and you will be happy.
my.02

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love my VALAIR #3600 DD, it has held everything that I have thrown at it, with out a problem. It is also very smooth when pulling trailers. Give them a call and talk to Dan or Kevin and they will hook you up, just tell them Chris with Death Row Diesel told you to call!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any cons to running a dual disk?

·
Registered
126 Posts
You get a little rattle from them, and a stiffer pedal, but it is not bad at all. I like this one better than the single Organic/Feramic that I had. Much better Clutch for a Daily Driver.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
I love my VALAIR #3600 DD, it has held everything that I have thrown at it, with out a problem. It is also very smooth when pulling trailers. Give them a call and talk to Dan or Kevin and they will hook you up, just tell them Chris with Death Row Diesel told you to call!!!
do you have any performance mods done to your truck? from looking at your sig your truck is mostly stock with the exception of a better lift pump.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
Any cons to running a dual disk?
yup just a little added noise and stiffer pedal. but both of those are to be expected when stepping into a diesel truck.:thumbsup

·
Registered
126 Posts
Robert, I dynoed at 446hp/859tq at ART this year, and am working on getting a Smarty for my truck right now! I do run it at the track a little, but not too often.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I love my HMR Street Drag...I have not had it to the track but around town it shifts faster then stock IMHO
it is a 6puck solid hub
SBC or Haisley and you will be happy.
my.02
If i had the cash Id run the Haisley street drag, but I dont. I have the 3250 which Im very pleased with :thumbsup

·
Registered
541 Posts
Robert, I dynoed at 446hp/859tq at ART this year, and am working on getting a Smarty for my truck right now! I do run it at the track a little, but not too often.
How are you pulling 446hp with just the intake, exhaust, lift pump, and Quad race?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was running the quad race on pressure only, stacked with a diablo preadator on extreme.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you decide what plate load to get?

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
How do you decide what plate load to get?
depends on what you want to use the truck for mainly.
you said you want to launch like me in your first post. im staying with a 3250 pressure plate for quick release. but im sure i could still do it with a 3600.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mostly daily driving and haulin a small load but want the ability to launch for the weekend. Sorry to drag this out but now you really have me wondering about a few things. Please bare with me. What exactly is plate load and what does it do for you. What is the difference between sprung or not. Last, what are the pros/cons of having more or less buttons be they ceramic or organic? I know thats a lot but thanks in advance.:thumbsup

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
Mostly daily driving and haulin a small load but want the ability to launch for the weekend. Sorry to drag this out but now you really have me wondering about a few things. Please bare with me. What exactly is plate load and what does it do for you. What is the difference between sprung or not. Last, what are the pros/cons of having more or less buttons be they ceramic or organic? I know thats a lot but thanks in advance.:thumbsup
not a problem. the Plate load is determined by the which pressure plate you get. they are rated as follows 3250,3600,3850,4200. there are some in between but these are the popular ones. in short it is the applied load when clutch is released.

the difference between the new sprung hub and older ridged hub design is the newer spring loaded hub is much quieter. the springs dampen the vibrations.

the difference in the buttons from 6 to 12. the 6 button clutches are suited more for racing they are a bit more grabby as compared to the 12 button. the 6 has less rotating mass to help shift faster. the 12 button is really suited for a smoother release and geared towards towing and sled pulling.

hope this helps. if you have any other questions feel free to ask. im sure there will be others who can add to this too.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
not a problem. the Plate load is determined by the which pressure plate you get. they are rated as follows 3250,3600,3850,4200. there are some in between but these are the popular ones. in short it is the applied load when clutch is released.

the difference between the new sprung hub and older ridged hub design is the newer spring loaded hub is much quieter. the springs dampen the vibrations.

the difference in the buttons from 6 to 12. the 6 button clutches are suited more for racing they are a bit more grabby as compared to the 12 button. the 6 has less rotating mass to help shift faster. the 12 button is really suited for a smoother release and geared towards towing and sled pulling.

hope this helps. if you have any other questions feel free to ask. im sure there will be others who can add to this too.

in short it is the applied load when clutch is released, not, it is the clamping pressure on the discs when it is engaged.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
in short it is the applied load when clutch is released, not, it is the clamping pressure on the discs when it is engaged.
yes released as in engaged! released meaning clutch pedal out!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
well you could say it like that, but when a clutch is released it is not engaged. at least for those of us in the clutch business

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks RobP you're the man. One more question for ya... At what horsepower level do you think it is neccesary to upgrade the input shaft on our six speed. The auto guys always do it but is it needed for us?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts