Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into this for months and reading on the forum, but I cannot figure out the best combination for what I want to do. I have always had mainly stock 12 valves, and when i bought this truck it already had the below items installed.

I would like to replace as little as possible to make the truck more streetable/towable. Right now you can't hardly touch the throttle without smoking out the intersection. The turbo doesn't spool quick enough to give me any bottom end grunt for towing either. I don't tow super heavy, usually around 10-15k. So far my EGT's have been fine and it cleans up some once the turbo spools and you make it work.

I don't mind some smoke, but I don't want to be stopping traffic in intersections and would like to be able to step on it some to get moving when in traffic. It does run really good, it just doesn't work for what I want to do.

Here is what I know about the engine:

Bullet racing cams 192/215 maxspool
ported and polished head with 110# valve springs
4k governor springs
Full cut competition delivery valves
40hp overflow valve
DAP 3 piece T4 exhaust manifold
BW S464 64/83/1.10T6 with S400 T4 turbine housing divided twin scroll
225hp injectors 5x0.016 145*

The boost reference is also not hooked up- Which I know is an issue and needs to be reconnected, but I was wanting to do everything I need to at one time.

I would appreciate some suggestions. From what I have read I am thinking I need to change the delivery valves, hook up the boost reference, and change the turbo and possibly the manifold as well.

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
My suggestion is to sell the engine to a drag racer and start anew.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The original purpose of that build is far away from where you want it to be now.
Hassle and money are in the future.

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,224 Posts
It seems like this scenario pops up on here about once a week...

The very first thing to do is hook up the boost reference and re-tune the AFC. Why it's even disconnected is beyond me. You will probably need to pull a LOT of preboost fuel out of it and once the AFC is tuned more or less correctly as far as smoke goes, you will probably find it close to undriveable with a trailer. This will lead to a complete replacement of the existing injection and turbocharging systems.

I would suggest stock or 055 DVs. 5x14 or smaller injectors. You could probably keep the T4 manifold if you got an S362 with the right turbine housing, but you will be leaving a substantial amount of spool potential on the table with any T4 S300 housing, and a T3 manifold is a drop in the bucket relative to the rest of the money you're going to spend fixing this, so I would advise getting back to a T3 manifold and running a .7 housing on the S300. Or, if you wanted even more turbo response, go with a K27 (and 5x12 injectors).

Check the timing. With the rest of that mod list, it *should* be in the low to mid 20s. Reset it to 16-20 degrees.

I can't find complete specs on the cam but it's almost certainly well past what an ideal cam is for a tow rig. Given the amount of cost and work it is to replace in-frame, I would sell the entire setup as a unit and start from scratch on a stock engine before I'd swap the cam back to a 178/208 or something similar. That said, it's probably fine to leave in. It is probably costing you some low end torque but should substantially help EGTs up top. I would never use that much cam in a tow rig but it is causing the least impact to the truck's driveability compared to the bolt-ons.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
The very first thing to do is hook up the boost reference and re-tune the AFC. Why it's even disconnected is beyond me. .
I’d be willing to bet his afc is gutted, I tried helping a friend with a similar issue and turns out they removed the afc foot.

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,224 Posts
Ah. Yes. Forgot about that one.

In that case, make sure all the AFC components are there and working correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll start by looking into the afc. I might as well buy the bolt ons and hook on a trailer and see what it does. Worst case I unbolt them and start with a stock engine.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would agree with what has already been suggested for you on here. You have too much fuel coming in too quickly and your turbo is not known for quick spooling.

One up side is, you should be able to sell all the pieces you take off (big injectors, DVs, big turbo, and big exhaust maifold), on here, to recoup some of the money you are going to spend.

·
Premium Member
4,673 Posts
I love how everyone builds an engine slaps a cam in it like a small block chevy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts