Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

looking for a 5.9 need some opinions and info

804 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  bigpat54
im in the proccess of finding a cummins and am curious about what little differences in the years were. im really looking at something 2000 or newer. im not ruling out a 12 valve but it would have to be the right one. i want either a 24v h.o or a CR manual 4x4. just curios about little things to be weary of or things that are good for a certain motor. thanks
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Master of Mayhem NASFIG
12,513 Posts
in the 24v the vp44 can die due to a bad lift pump which has huge tendency to fail. in the cr its the injectors that give fits along with the lift pump going out on the 03 t0 04.5 models. there are a few minor issues with the rest of the truck. do a search and you can find a lot info

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
I own a 04.5 common rail H.O. with 140k on it and I have already replaced lift pump, water pump, and all 6 injectors. If you are looking for the 6spd NV5600 just know its a lot of shifting but I have one and like it a lot.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info everyone. im aware of the vp44s and one of the first things i would do is get a hot rod vp44 and do a FASS system. and i have never heard about the injector issue on the early crs. thanks for that heads up.

· Registered
329 Posts
ALL of them have issues, but no matter what year you buy, you are still getting the best, most proven durable diesel motor that you can in a truck, hands down. I had an '89 that was awesome that had small issues here and there. I also had a 2002 24V. I lost my VP and lift pump at 60,000. Put a new pump on and an Airdog lift pump and never had another hiccup in another 50,000 miles. The 24V's run hard and strong and as well as any other Cummins. Remember, the 24V are the best of the 2nd gen truck wise IMHO,

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i realize that no year is perfect i just was curious about something that is really common. like the vp. i completely agree with your statement about the cummins being he best. it is i have had a 7.3 powerstroke. this truck was great very reliable and strong but pretty slow. and now a have a 6.0 and i HATE it. my friend has a cummins and his truck will drive circles around mine and just about everyone elses i know. it never breaks down either. im trying to sell my mistake and get a real truck now though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.