Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a 1993 dodge Cummins D250 first gen 5.9 turbo diesel from the west coast I brought back to the east, to upstate New York. I am in need of fixing the steering but it’s one of those hard to find parts. Here on the east there Isn't much first gen parts. I could try calling west coast junk yards but I don’t know which ones to call and who will ship me the part. I am looking for a steering knuckle, steering coupler it’s called. Not the whole steering gear box. That’s ok. It’s the other part that has play in it. It’s old and needs replacement. My mechanic can’t find the part but called it a steering knuckle/coupler.
Does buying a whole steering gear box come with this part? He said my gear box is fine it’s just this steering knuckle part and he can’t find piece. Anyone have this part for sale that can ship it to me or know anyone or anywhere that does? I can PayPal or what have u. Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
The knuckle is the part the front wheel hub assemblies bolt to. Those don't need replacing unless they're damaged, they're basically a hunk of cast steel. If it is the actual knuckle then they are hard to find. Would need to find a junkyard likely or on ebay.

May need clarification on the part though, since I've never heard a steering knuckle called a coupler. And I don't know why one would come with a steering box. Do you have photos? Or location where it is on the truck?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, we looked at that. I think that steering shaft will work. See they say it’s the knuckle coupler area that connects to gear box. And that the factory part is rare and hard to find. Does this borgeson shaft eliminate that and modify it to not need the factory knuckle area? I am not sure what I’m even talking about but We believe the borgeson part is just new and different and takes out the old worn out factory part that connects them. But does it fit right in? Or do we need another part or parts with the borgeson steering shaft to connect it to gear box. They say 99 percent of my steering play comes from this part I’m talking about. NOT the gear box itself just this area. I am thinking of ordering the borgeson steering shaft but it’s different I guess from factory.i Will it eliminate that part and fit in or do I need another joint or knuckle or bushing piece aswell?it seems it’s a new piece that just takes out the factory connection. Just wondering how it’s gonna connect or whatever. We are getting closer here haha! Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
Yes that steering shaft will do away with all the play and last much longer then replacing the factory one with another one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m pretty sure This is the factory part that has play they are talking about.We can’t find this part. So if I buy the borgeson steering shaft for 155 or whatever , it’ll slide right into 1993 Cummins D250 gearbox and eliminate this factory part they use? Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
If you was to do a search on here you'd find out it's a very common part to cause steering issues, and everyone bought the Borgeson Shaft to replace it.

If your Mechanic knows what he's doing he will know how to replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you was to do a search on here you'd find out it's a very common part to cause steering issues, and everyone bought the Borgeson Shaft to replace it.

If your Mechanic knows what he's doing he will know how to replace it.
Ok sweet thanks again. Yea he’s legit. We where just confused on this coupler knuckle area from factory setup and new steering shaft. It’s all good now. We will get new shaft and put her in. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
A variation on what oldram said...

If your mechanic can't find a replacement for that part, may i suggest a new mechanic.

Rockauto carries them, most parts stores can get them next day, even here in the rustbelt where I own half the trucks that haven't been scraped.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You can get repair parts for that box if you want to keep it...its a cross pin, set of shoes, spring, seal, and retainer...costs a couple bucks.

If you go that route, make sure you have the mechanic install a grease fitting and reassemble with waterproof (marine) grease...

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
You can get repair parts for that box if you want to keep it...its a cross pin, set of shoes, spring, seal, and retainer...costs a couple bucks.

If you go that route, make sure you have the mechanic install a grease fitting and reassemble with waterproof (marine) grease...
I rebuilt mine, the coupler wears also so if you was to put new guts in it won't last very long.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I rebuilt mine, the coupler wears also so if you was to put new guts in it won't last very long.
We rebuilt them before Borgeson was even a thought/option, they lasted fine if you kept them greased and kept the water out of them. Guess we had good luck with our trucks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts