Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello guys
tomorrow i plan on looking a 1995 12v cummins reg cab long box 5 speed 4x4 :party018: its almost got 260000KM and he says the brake lights don't work and brakes don't work, and the light behind the dash doesn't work, also he's front drive shaft is hanging down, so it needs some work but what do you all think is a reasonable price for this?? and also what should i look for?
Thanks in advanced
Fons

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The body was just done to it. And looks good except there's no clear coat on it yet. And he says the engine runs good and will start -20C with out plug in. And interior looks clean in the pictures

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cummins Nut
1,531 Posts
Sounds like you could get a good deal on it. Or you could get someone else's project after they got bored or spent too much.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd agree with the above post, the brakes alone are gonna run you a pretty penny along with whatevers wrong with the 4x4. That being said the truck itself doesnt got too many miles on it by anymean but it's hard to say about a price without seeing it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sounds like whatever savings might be had on the purchase will likely be put back in x2
Trucks left in that state usually have a lot more issues once you look closer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We did buy it but It needs work. It has a rough running sound when it gets to a higher rpm it almost sounds like it's missing. And it spits out a lot of white smoke! And there's a little crackling noise but only happens sometimes. But other then that it was what I expected. But it was a good deal. And a good project for me to work on. Do you know anything I could do to reduce that spitting at higher rpm. And the white smoke? Could it be injectors. Or timing slipped alittle.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
A cold diesel will have white smoke especially in cold weather. A warmed up diesel with white smoke is likely to have slipped timing. It could also be a head gasket leaking antifreeze into a cylinder.

The rough running might be caused by a clogged up fuel filter and prefilter. For some reason when you have a hard time getting fuel to the engine it does not run so good.

Click on the links below.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-engine/58777-joe-gs-fuel-system-writeup.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-engine/223095-what-kdp.html

Reactions: cumminsfarming

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know about the white smoke when there cold. But when you
Rev it up alittle it's unbelievable. Like smoke everywhere and just sucks to breath in it. But that could be to much fuel being dumped in and not burning the best.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket is leaking coolant into one of the cylinders. Jumping time is very rare unless someone has already tinkered with it. I can't think of a single time I have ever heard anyone having that problem.
Is there bubbling in the coolant? Take the cap off and run it for a minute.
I would lean heavily on a head gasket. Run a compression test, right now. Dont chance it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has been tampered with. Because it has a lot more power then it should. It smokes some soot to if you hit it. But I'll check the bubbling in the rad when I get the chance. It won't be going on the road for a little. I got exams coming up :( but after that I'll be working on it when ever I can

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
by the way This is my first vehicle, and im still in high school, but i do have lots of expeience with cummins been grown up with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts