Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at trailers, The trailers main use will be transporting my crawler which weights around 2700lbs and im sure my buddies fords from time to time :hehe: So with that considered i think a 20' 10k would be the ticket. However every once in a great wile (once a year maby) we want to transport the backhoe or front end loader. The hanger is I found a gently used 2005 tandem dually axles 24k rated 25' goosneck for the same price as a new 20' car hauler. So hopefully someone out there can shed there advice, my concern is will the 5er just be so large that it takes from its usability and practicality of doing its primary job of hauling my crawler?

·
Registered
205 Posts
this is just my opinion but.... i would go with the 5er. your getting more trailer for you money and you have more diversity in what you can haul. after haulin around bumper pull horse trailers, i can say this, i will never own another bumper pull in my life except for my fourwheeler trailer. to me, bumper pulls make the truck ride like hell, where my GN doesnt. Ive got 4 GN trailers, a 24ft lowboy, 24ft cattle, 26ft LQ horse trailer, and a 37ft dovetail. my buddy uses my lowboy to haul his crawler all over the south and has never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go with the gooseneck. I dont know what kinda backhoe you got but anything I have ever ran would kill a 10K bumper pull. One thing I did notice is your sig line......37" Toyos??

Your gonna dang near have to have a gooseneck custom built with the extended uprights or your gona have the goose part embedded in your bedsides. Especially if you hit a dip or something like that. I just got rid of my 07, 6" PP lift and 37" Toyos cause it wasnt worth a DANG to haul anything with.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Then if you go bumper pull your gonna have to have one of those huge drop hitches and those are pricey and pretty hard to get one that has a heavy towing capacity. This is why my 07 went bye bye and of course the huge payment, LOL! That lift was the dumbest thing I ever did to it.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
just a word of precaution once you get a dual tandem you will be over the 26k weight combo and will require a class a dl.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I also suggest the GN over the bumper pull. I have a personal dislike for bumper pulls, especially if you're going to be doing any driving on slick/ice. Additionally, you can haul a lot larger variety of stuff w/ the GN. I don't know where you're at, but rpage is right, legally you would be required to have a CDL but depending on what and how much you haul, you could probably get away without one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have pulled all kinda crap all over the country and never been stopped to ask about if I have a CDL.......although I do. Class A with everything on it cept for doubles and tripples........cause aint no way I would pull those damn wiggle wagons.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
never said cdl just class A which you can get a non cdl class A in texas and other states. Give another month or 2 tex and if your dragging a drw tandem trailer one of them nice suv's will be checking you out. They have been cracking down on them for about the last 6 months.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wasn t able to see it today, Suprising somehow Im finding good deals on GNs this week, found a 34'er also that i hope to look at soon

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replys also guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have tagged the tailgate twice with my gooseneck on my stcok height dually. I don't think u could use a gooseneck on a truck with 5 inches of lift and 37s and not be in the bedside. I really wanted 22.5s but. Figured with me hauling it across my pastures etc I would have to go flatbed first. Not trying to down a dream by any means but check it out and pull it on uneven terrain before you buy it

·
Registered
801 Posts
Get a goose best trailer investment I ever did its not that much to raise the neck up mine is raised and my buddy pulles it all the time he's got a Ford with a 6 inch and 37s ill never have a bumper pull again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts