Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be getting a new set a tires soon for the ‘15 cummins and curious what all I need to look at as far as getting a tire that can handle the weight of the cummins plus any towing I may do. Is the load range all I need to worry about, so long as it’s atleast load range E? I certainly don’t wanna deal with a sidewall blowing out or getting knots anywhere on it. This is my first foray into buying tires for a diesel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
E rating doesn’t really mean much now a days. If you tow heavy you gotta look at load rating per tire. If you don’t tow much than any E rated tire will work. I run nitto ridge grapplers, E rated a little over 4000 per tire. That’s higher than some of the F rated tires I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Load index is what you want to look at when buying tires. Load range is an misleading system that only indicates the ply of the tire and air pressures allowed. Load index actually tells you what the tire can handle. This is just a portion of a load index chart, but it gives you an idea.

Load index chart

Load Index ---- Load (lbs)

120--------- 3086
121--------- 3197
122--------- 3307
123--------- 3417
124--------- 3527
125--------- 3638
126--------- 3748
127--------- 3858
128--------- 3968
129--------- 4079
130--------- 4189

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m also due for a new set of tires on my truck. I’m pretty sure I’ve settled on the new BFG T/A KO2 DT. It has a different tread compound for these heavier diesel trucks and a 50K mile treadwear warranty, which is a first for BFG T/A KO tires. I’ve always had good luck with BFG’s and I’m really interested to see how they hold up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Truck is used around the farm so it tows a corn header, bean header, and a 3 axle bulk seed tender. No idea what all that weighs. Seed tender is advertised at 6,780 pounds empty with I believe 1,000 pound tongue weight and I wanna say fully loaded it weighs up in the 15k range. Regular tongue pull on all that, no goosenecks

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Truck is used around the farm so it tows a corn header, bean header, and a 3 axle bulk seed tender. No idea what all that weighs. Seed tender is advertised at 6,780 pounds empty with I believe 1,000 pound tongue weight and I wanna say fully loaded it weighs up in the 15k range. Regular tongue pull on all that, no goosenecks
Avoid the HT tires if you’re trucking around the farm. You need at least an AT tire for that, maybe more depending on your farm conditions.

That said, I’ve run around our KS farm on Toyos and Coopers. Both in the AT variety on 285 75/18 variety. 4000# capacity per tire and decent performance off the gravel. Not great. Decent.

All that said, your towing loads aren’t extreme. Figure out your rear axle weight with those loads and buy a good AT that’ll cover it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m also due for a new set of tires on my truck. I’m pretty sure I’ve settled on the new BFG T/A KO2 DT. It has a different tread compound for these heavier diesel trucks and a 50K mile treadwear warranty, which is a first for BFG T/A KO tires. I’ve always had good luck with BFG’s and I’m really interested to see how they hold up.
Before you get the BFG’s read about them on the Thuren site. I have them, and also have the death wobble.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/death-wobble-in-depth.html

·
Registered
293 Posts
Will be getting a new set a tires soon for the ‘15 cummins and curious what all I need to look at as far as getting a tire that can handle the weight of the cummins plus any towing I may do. Is the load range all I need to worry about, so long as it’s atleast load range E? I certainly don’t wanna deal with a sidewall blowing out or getting knots anywhere on it. This is my first foray into buying tires for a diesel.

I currently am running the Cooper AT3 XLT Load E. They are awesome, perform great, and quiet on road. The weight per tire is up there and cooper also warranties them I believe for 50-60k. (Dont quote me on that though). Just make sure if your hauling heavy with these or any tire that you set your pressures right or you will create a lot of heat where the sidewall meets the rest of the tire and it will separate especially on a BFG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've had one set of OC RT 37x13.50 18R and now on a set of KM3 MT 37x13.50 18R The first set was D rated the current set is E rated. They both worked fine for me, the KM3's seem to have more road noise, but more bit in the dirt.

The top was yesterday with KM3's, the bottom 2yrs ago with OC RT's

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Avoid the HT tires if you’re trucking around the farm. You need at least an AT tire for that, maybe more depending on your farm conditions.

That said, I’ve run around our KS farm on Toyos and Coopers. Both in the AT variety on 285 75/18 variety. 4000# capacity per tire and decent performance off the gravel. Not great. Decent.

All that said, your towing loads aren’t extreme. Figure out your rear axle weight with those loads and buy a good AT that’ll cover it.
The truck came with firestone trans force ht tires, trash junk tires when leaving the pavement. I spin out on wet grass and everything else

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How well do those CT’s clean out in the slick stuff? I’ve seen toyo at’s first hand on power strokes in some pretty nasty field conditions checking for slick spots and they did surprisingly well. Not MT well, but didn’t need a pull out either

·
Registered
860 Posts
I love the CT so far with just the truck I’ve yet to get stuck Even in the soft cow area of my field. They cleaned out pretty well.

I have gotten stuck pull a heavy trailer though the field . If I was willing to tear up the field I think the truck and tires would have pulled it out as I could still move back a forth . Just was easier to get a tractor.

I love them so far just haven’t had them in snow or ice yet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts