·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking at a 2001 4x4 QC with 120K.

The owner (1 owner vehicle) reports that it has the following issues:

ABS Light is on

Antifreeze smell when he turns the heat on. Probably needs a heater core.

Every once in a while he gets a "dead Pedal". Could be the IP (origional IP). He has a FP gauge on it and is on his 3rd pump. He changes them before it starves the IP of fuel.

My question is, is this worth looking at? If it's going to need a new IP that's a $2k job right?

Could it be something else causing the dead pedal?

Thanks. The guy wants 10,500, negotiable.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
No way, unless it is showroom quality.

You have the big problems right now, ABS light USUALLY means wheel bearing (if 4 wheel ABS, $400) Heater core is cheap, but if you have not been into the dash before, 5-6 hours labor, and IP, cheapest at $1500 installed.

My .02, hope it helps.

·
On call 24/7
12,569 Posts
But ABS light could also be a $30 rear end speed sensor. Most likely the dead pedal is the IP but if you can swapp it yourself it can be done for less than $1200. Im with Chris, he needs to drop the price.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
Before changing the VP44 check for error codes... The error codes will tell you what to change...

P0121, P0122, or P0123 is APPS sensor failure codes...

P0216, P1688 and a few other ar VP44 failure codes...

·
Registered
324 Posts
could be the TPS sensor to, mine did the dead pedal for a while, had a diagnostics test ran on it and came back tps code, replaced it and never did it again. alot cheaper fix then a new vp44, make sure its not sumthing dumb first, but if he dont drop the price id find another truck. there for sale everywhere for less then 10k

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good replies - thanks!

Moving on - looking at some southern stuff now. Got to get out of the rust belt to find a good one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
good choice bud. i found mine out of alabama, 99 24valve with 96,000 miles for $6500 pretty much stock only the fass system on it. just take ur time, dont just buy the first thing u find. cummins trucks are a dime a dozen!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that's a hell of a deal. I haven't even seen anything close to $6500 that isn't beat or comes with problems.

·
Registered
324 Posts
lol i looked 4 a long time, dont get me wrong it wasnt perfect by no means. needed a drivers rear door(smashed) and a new engine wireing harness. got one from dodge plugged it in and drove it home lol sum kid had it b4 me and jerry rigged a stero system and spliced it into the wireing harness y i have no idea but it melted it and it ended up with a salvage title. but thats just a piece of paper in my mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts