Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I'm looking at an 03 Regular Cab, Long Bed 6 spd w/ 190xxx miles.

The truck is an hour away, trying to get the dealer to find some information about recall work, and maintenance performed, haven't heard anything yet.

At 190xxx what things should have been replaced by now? Anything in particular to look at/for when I go to look at it in person and drive it?

I appreciate any help.

·
On call 24/7
12,575 Posts
If the front end hasnt been touched Im sure its shot. You will probably need tie rods, ball joints, track bar and control arm bushings. The stock lift pump might be on a downhill slide too but otherwise these are good trucks. Oh, 1 more thing the blend door that controls the air output is probably broken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blend door, is that HVAC related?

What about injectors? Looking for anything on startup, or driving?

Thanks for the other points.

·
On call 24/7
12,575 Posts
Blend door moves air from your feet to your face to your defrost. You have to dismantel the dash to put another one in. You shouldnt see any smoke at start up or driving if its stock. Black smoke is fine, blue, white or grey is no good. Injectors are high for these common rail trucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I saw a post about the injectors last night, and the price to replace is rediculously high.

·
On call 24/7
12,575 Posts
The labor is rediculas, you can get stock replacements from thoroughbred diesel for $335 a piece and just put'em in yourself. If you know somebody with a smarty you can turn the injectors off one at a time to see which one is bad if its got a bad one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lordy, 335 a piece is crazy.

I know it will vary on a case by case basis, but say the truck has been stock all 190xxx miles, when are injectors more or likely to out?

·
On call 24/7
12,575 Posts
I dont think you can ever really tell, Im sure its had a couple replaced by now. My 03 has 95k on it and I have had 3 replaced since i have owned it from 56k. I do have a quad xzilleraider race but not sure how much that has to do with it. They really should put a better fuel filtration settup on these trucks from the factory. They need to have a 2 micron fuel filter and I still have a stock style filter. Im in Japan for another couple years but when I get back it will get a better filter setup.

·
Registered
352 Posts
got same truck with 160,000 miles on it, i just replaced the from universal joints on it. my heater works but sometimes it doesnt want to switch from panel to defrost. just general stuff.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
If you know somebody with a smarty you can turn the injectors off one at a time to see which one is bad if its got a bad one.
You can do that with a Smarty? I didnt know that.:confused013:

·
On call 24/7
12,575 Posts
I have been told by a couple people that the smarty can do it, I have no personal experience though. I hope im not steering him wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone else able to chime in about the Smarty reading injectors?

What are common signs of injectors going bad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts