Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I've been looking for a nice rust free second gen for a bit now (I'm in mn). Came across a listing not too far away and he was asking 10k. It's a 2001 Ram 2500 flat bed with a 5 speed that just had everything gone through. Its rust free, it's got 12k on a rebuilt and beefed up 5 speed with the 5th gear but locked. 3k on a valair dual disc clutch just installed. With the final seemingly bit of good news being 400 miles on a completely tore down and rebuilt motor bored over .20 with arp head studs. The transfer case was also just upgraded as well. Now the bad when he took the motor apart instead of replacing the block he stitched it back together using nickel rod and a tig welder. It's my understanding that these types of stitches don't last long and the only real fix is a new engine or a new block, which is a high dollar item to know you need going into a already large purchase. Body has around 360k he told me which I'm not too worried about with it being rust free. He's asking 10k i know 2nd gens are expensive however even with a rebuilt motor I know I got a 4-7k dollar issue to fix. So my question is. What would you guys pay for a truck like this? I was thinking 5k would be a good price but I wanted some more opinions. He is flexible on the price I just want to know what price everyone thinks it makes sense at. Thanks for taking your time to read this and help me out I appreciate it.

·
Registered
20,582 Posts
If you have the tools and ability to transport and install another motor a used on can be had for 2-5000 bucks and rebuilt from 3-10,000 with a good block. Another option is getting another good worn block and suing the rebuild parts from that one for rebuild, Would not be that hard or expensive, all depending on what is availablle. Most blocks/cylinders are good to over 500k even without boring.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My buddy is looking at a 99 quad cab long bed auto with 220,000 miles, and that truck is mint. Only a little tiny tear in the drivers seat. He knows the guy who owns it, he's like 96 or so, and bought the truck new. The price tag on that truck is 9k. So for a truck with rebuild beefed up drivetrain parts I'd say go for it! Especially since it has the 5 speed and is rust free.

·
Registered
20,582 Posts
Buy him a needle and thread and tell him to go for it. In CA right now they have doubled in price in the last year to 15-$20k, ridiculous. I wish my 99 only had 220k, and like new, and it is actually pretty good at near 700k, more than anybody else here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys I'm trying to look at it in the next couple of days. Do any of you know if the HO would be a direct swap with the SO for the same year engines? I know the transmissions and clutches were different between the two as well as the vp44 pumps. I've heard the connectors for the sensors were different too though and I would like an engine that just bolts right in if I went that route. If anyone has any experience or knowledge of that let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,582 Posts
For manual to manual you should not have the same issues of using an HO with an automatic. I would expect the 5 speed and 6 speed wiring and pcm should be interchangeable so long as both are 01 or 02 without the crankshaft sensor on the 98 to 00. You need the VP44 and ECM for the HO. Remember use the serial number on the HO when buying parts. As far as clutches go check it out, it would not surprise me if 5 speed everything might just bolt right up. Measure everything thing check splines. Having a half to 1 inch smaller clutch ain't going to kill you. If there is any issues maybe Advance Adaptors has something. Often you can compare parts descriptions and measurements part numbers by looking them up on Rockauto and clicking the INFO button.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts