Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 07.5 6.7L Cummins. We took our trucks from NJ to Reno and back....in a hurry I might add. We were showing a Yukon driver that his SUV is not as fast as a Superchipped Cummins or Duramax on EFI Live when we discovered the Cummins is only good to 105 mph. (This was in the desert of Utah past Salt Lake City). Shortly after he got a "Cat 90% full" message and the truck lost some power. He said he could keep up but he couldn't accel. like he could before. The message cleared and he was good to go the rest of the trip. Is their any relationship between the cat full message and the increased speeds we were running? You'd think high sustained speeds would clean it out.

Thanks guys,
Ed

·
Registered
152 Posts
:welcome: Probably, since the regeneration only takes place in the 50 to 59 mph range.
Thats not correct, I routinely see regenerations occuring at 75 MPH on the highway.

It sounds like the programmer was dumping a ton of fuel into with his foot buried to the firewall and it just created a lot of soot in a short period of time, started to plug up the dpf and then it cleaned itself out.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Thats not correct, I routinely see regenerations occuring at 75 MPH on the highway.

It sounds like the programmer was dumping a ton of fuel into with his foot buried to the firewall and it just created a lot of soot in a short period of time, started to plug up the dpf and then it cleaned itself out.
^yup i agree

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Well then, I bow to your expertise. Everthing I have seen or read says regeneration occurs at speeds between 50 and 59, but you drive one and I only have 5.9 CTD. However I do not believe that regeneration was occuring at 100 plus mph. But I will be the first to say that I could be wrong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
During the derated portion of the engine operation we were running at 80 mph. After 45 minutes to an hour he radio'd me and said the power came back. The cat full issue never returned and we were able to finish our trip to reno, tahoe and back to NJ with no more issues other than the huge dust storm we encountered in the Nevada desert. We ordered new air filters and had them delivered to the hotel and all was good. Thanks guys!

Ed

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
Thats one heck of a road trip there Ed!:thud: Thanks for sharing the experience with the truck.:thumbsup

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Here's a pic at a rest area in Wyoming off I-80

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun...awesome pic by the way!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well then, I bow to your expertise. Everthing I have seen or read says regeneration occurs at speeds between 50 and 59, but you drive one and I only have 5.9 CTD. However I do not believe that regeneration was occuring at 100 plus mph. But I will be the first to say that I could be wrong.

That speed is considered optimum only.I can watch regen progress real time and it will continue at differing rates depending on speed and load.Although I have not watched the process at 100mph I have seen it continue above 90mph.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts