Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought a 38 foot 5th wheel that weighs in at 13,000lbs and I will be towing it from Elkhart,Indiana to Canton, Georgia! I have the Smarty Jr. with EGR deletes and 5" Turbo back on the truck. Any words of wisdom for a 1st time haul with this kind of weight? Smarty setting will be Level2 on the Jr. with Tq default and timing Default. I pulled about 6000 lbs this way and everything felt fine! Any and all input would be great!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sit back and enjoy your trip. That thing is gonna pull great. :thumbsup:

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
I was just in elkhart picking up my new enclosed trailer. YUP SIT BACK AND ENJOY keep and eye on the egt's going through WV if thats how your going.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
With my Smarty towing 15500 pounds I found EGTs were a lot more reasonable on SW1 all defaults, VGT3. For what its worth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We will be going up through Mont Eagle,Tennessee which will be my toughest pull. I dont have gauges yet but Im a very light footed driver and will definatley let the truck do the work and keep the rpms up above 1500rpm when pulling a hill!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
We will be going up through Mont Eagle,Tennessee which will be my toughest pull. I dont have gauges yet but Im a very light footed driver and will definatley let the truck do the work and keep the rpms up above 1500rpm when pulling a hill!
No gauges is never a good thing :buttkick: especially because i would try to keep an eye on boost and egt's to high of boost and your creating to high of drive pressure. Although if you set smarty on low you will prolly be ok

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
if he turns the smarty off he can run all day long without guages.

But I do agree if your putting more power to the girl, you ATLEAST want to monitor your Egts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Monteagle will give you a good workout with that weight. Be careful without gauges. Read in one of the many rags delivered to the house, it is one of the top 10 or so toughest passes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Monteagle is the big test for sure! I plan to take it easy on the go pedal for sure. We are picking up the camper Tuesday June 1st and camping our way home for the rest of the week. I will be changing the oil tomorrow and the fuel filter was just changed. We have all week to get back which is 700 miles so there is no hurry and no need to really push the envelope in the way of speed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You picking it up from the manufacturer? What did you get if you don't mind me asking. I am waiting for my new TT to arrive, supposed to come off line this week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are picking it up from RV Capital in Elkhart. We bought a Heartland Big Country 3500rl. its our 1st 5th wheel!

3,180 Posts
i pulled a decent hill just outside of waynesville NC towing around that wieght she did great! id go to a lil more timing to help with egts and turbo on 3 or default

·
Registered
124 Posts
So what should he keep his egts at and under?And timing lowers egts correct?

3,180 Posts
that is what i have gathered from this forum and my own experience but also to much timing is bad its more of a sweet spot

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was pulling a 37ft camper 10,500 smarty on 4 and pulling some 4 and 6 hills The most I hit was 16lb boost 1100 degrees.

3,180 Posts
I was pulling a 37ft camper 10,500 smarty on 4 and pulling some 4 and 6 hills The most I hit was 16lb boost 1100 degrees.
thats not bad at all i pulled some 7s and 8s and saw in the 20s on boost and egts around 1300

·
Registered
124 Posts
What were you running your smarty on?And did you have the cruz on on just peddling it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is that a ranch hand on the front of your dodge? I live in SC and have only seen 1 others but went thru TX and every other one had one.I like mine.Deers don't have a chance hit one at 70 and not even a dent just some blood and guts.GOTTA LOVE EM.

3,180 Posts
i was set on sw1 all defaults exept torque it was on 2
and i was peddling it i prefer peddle when towing heavy with cars all around on grades they all like to stop in the road lol

3,180 Posts
Is that a ranch hand on the front of your dodge? I live in SC and have only seen 1 others but went thru TX and every other one had one.I like mine.Deers don't have a chance hit one at 70 and not even a dent just some blood and guts.GOTTA LOVE EM.
yes sir its a ranch hand. i know of only 4 in my area that are real ranch hands and 2 ranch hand look alikes

1 - 20 of 40 Posts