Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says in the title, I am not sure what the main difference is between the two, and how much would one be different from the other? I'm guessing range of travel.

What would you go with and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Well it all depends on what your doin! With the long arm, you will get more articulation. Your cruisin a dually so i'm gonna bet that wheelin is not in the plans! There are some really great suspension lifts out there with reg. or 1/2 inch over stock lenght control arms! I run a 4.5 fabtech lift and I really love it! Plus it won't the height of your bed but and inch or two!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Long arm kits aren't necessary until you start getting into the taller lifts. Less than 3" and factory arms are fine. At 3", 1/2"-over arms are perfect. Up to 6" lift longer than stock short arms are usually used. Once you get above 6" long arms are advisable.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Long arm suspensions ride smoother. It's all in the geometry.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a 96 12v SRW that I want to dump a bunch of cash into.. That's what I would be lifting. I was looking at BDS 4.5" kit. I don't want to go for the cheapest kit on the market, becuase I believe you get what you pay for. And I want a quality ride.

They are asking 350.00 more for the long arm kit.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Pay close attention to the joints. Bushings are crap and work your way up from there. I believe that one of the best joints used in suspensions are the Johnny Joint.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pay close attention to the joints. Bushings are crap and work your way up from there. I believe that one of the best joints used in suspensions are the Johnny Joint.
I sent Dunk's an e-mail and PM'd ya... Just in the process of ordering a Lorenz lift and trying to get all the pieces lined up.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I just saw the PM, you have one :D I'm sending ya another :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why a long arm kit?
The long lower arms create less castor change through wheel travel which creates a more solid feel in the steering wheel and better offroad handling characteristics.

This is from the BDS site.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
BDS said:
The long lower arms create less castor change through wheel travel which creates a more solid feel in the steering wheel and better offroad handling characteristics.

This is from the BDS site.
:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
I don't know why I found this funny :lol3: This has nothing to do with you DD :thumbsup I agree. :thumbsup
Has anyone ever driven a vehicle equipped with a long arm suspension? You'll never need a website to describe it's a night and day difference on and off road :thumbsup But, like everything else, it may not be for everyone and that only takes care of the front, you'll need to find that rear suspension that will fit your needs and ride. A block just doesn't cut it when you have that awesome ride up front :D

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hungry? :lol3: :lol3:

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
I love my long arm lift . Rides way better then my buddys superlift . :butt::T::woot:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts