Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I bought my truck new, but just noticed this week, that when I first start the truck up in the morning and shift into drive right away and go to lock out 6th gear, the toggle only lets me go to 4th. If I toggle above 4th, it just goes back to drive. After a few minutes, I try it again and it works fine.

Anyone else notice this at all with you trucks? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
What transmission do you have? I see no info on your truck so not sure if you have an Aisin or a 68.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Asien

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the Aisin as well and noticed the same thing, but mine is not all the time. There are times when it's cold, it will not go above 4th like you mentioned but once it warms up a bit everything is fine.

So I would assume (hope) that it's normal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Aisin as well and noticed the same thing, but mine is not all the time. There are times when it's cold, it will not go above 4th like you mentioned but once it warms up a bit everything is fine.

So I would assume (hope) that it's normal.

Yep, that’s exactly what mine is doing. It’s still below freezing at night where I’m at and when I back it out of my shop, it does it until it’s ran for a couple minutes.

·
Administrator
13,241 Posts
Out of curiosity, what are you hoping to gain by locking out top gear?

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
What? Don't you know you can't operate one of these trucks in 6th gear???

It'll lug the engine!!!:shock: :eek:hno: :eek:noz: :kaboom:

:confused013: :rof

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
With 37s and 3.42s it sure will. No 6th gear till 120km/h (75 for you heathens).

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
What? Don't you know you can't operate one of these trucks in 6th gear???

It'll lug the engine!!!:shock: :eek:hno: :eek:noz: :kaboom:

:confused013: :rof
I lock 6th gear out of mine most (not all -- Most of the time) when I'm in town. Not because of the engine, because of the transmission. Constant shifting in and out of 6th, locking and unlocking the TC is not all that great on a transmission.

When I lock out 6th, it holds the gears longer and it keeps the TC from locking and unlocking every ten seconds. Or every 3 seconds sometimes.

Plus, I like how the EB works when 6th is locked out. I also think it shifts better but that could be my imagination. My routine is, start, High Idle, get rid of annoying flashing TPMS, set exhaust brake, fasten seat belt, scratch butt and drive. Once I get on a road where I can go above 30 MPH, I'll downshift to 5th. I don't like how 6th gear seems to buck when it's trying to decide whether to crap or make a sandwich in town

If you jump in your truck and a short trip for you is ten miles to Tractor Supply, I'm jealous. I live in town (the 'burbs) and I hate it. I've railed about it in here. It sucks. But I'm kinda dug in right now.

Anyways, in constant stop and go traffic, barely reaching 50 MPH at any time and, even then, for a very short period of time, I keep mine in 5th.

As usual, YMMV. But somebody asked 'why'

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Where I live it’s about 6 miles into town and the speed limit is 50, with ups and downs. In 6th, that is to slow to be going and the transmission sifts up and down quite a bit.

·
Administrator
13,241 Posts
I am willfully oblivious. I put er in "D" and let it ride. I like to think the engineers are smarter than me. Regardless if I am empty (10k pounds) or towing (just under 29k pounds)

·
Registered
787 Posts
have either of you tried driving in tow/haul mode? i always put mine on when driving in town. the truck drives much better for me. it holds the gears a little longer and keeps the rpms up when it shifts.

I lock 6th gear out of mine most (not all -- Most of the time) when I'm in town. Not because of the engine, because of the transmission. Constant shifting in and out of 6th, locking and unlocking the TC is not all that great on a transmission.

When I lock out 6th, it holds the gears longer and it keeps the TC from locking and unlocking every ten seconds. Or every 3 seconds sometimes.

Plus, I like how the EB works when 6th is locked out. I also think it shifts better but that could be my imagination. My routine is, start, High Idle, get rid of annoying flashing TPMS, set exhaust brake, fasten seat belt, scratch butt and drive. Once I get on a road where I can go above 30 MPH, I'll downshift to 5th. I don't like how 6th gear seems to buck when it's trying to decide whether to crap or make a sandwich in town

If you jump in your truck and a short trip for you is ten miles to Tractor Supply, I'm jealous. I live in town (the 'burbs) and I hate it. I've railed about it in here. It sucks. But I'm kinda dug in right now.

Anyways, in constant stop and go traffic, barely reaching 50 MPH at any time and, even then, for a very short period of time, I keep mine in 5th.

As usual, YMMV. But somebody asked 'why'
Where I live it’s about 6 miles into town and the speed limit is 50, with ups and downs. In 6th, that is to slow to be going and the transmission sifts up and down quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yep, that’s exactly what mine is doing. It’s still below freezing at night where I’m at and when I back it out of my shop, it does it until it’s ran for a couple minutes.

you mean your shop is not heated?? mine is a 68 and does that too if I park outside, if inside it is warm when I get in.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I am willfully oblivious. I put er in "D" and let it ride. I like to think the engineers are smarter than me. Regardless if I am empty (10k pounds) or towing (just under 29k pounds)
You and I must have the 2 unicorn trucks, I can not relate to 90% of the "problems" on the forum.
My truck does everything it was designed to do and without all the issues I read about.

Maybe it is because I use it as a truck daily and it has zero modifications to make it better, stock height, tire size, .....................and I have never insulted it by using it to pick up groceries. LOL.

I overload it and beat it like a rented mule and she loves me for it.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
Same here most of the time.

I will lock out 6th when driving slow and towing heavy or in lots of hills, but I don't have a 4.10 geared DRW truck.

Never fool with it any other time though.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Same here most of the time.

I will lock out 6th when driving slow and towing heavy or in lots of hills, but I don't have a 4.10 geared DRW truck.

Never fool with it any other time though.

you do not even have a 3500 LOL an inferior 2500.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts