Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On occasion here I need to start the truck and let it idle a bit to warm up, rather than sit out in the cold in the truck, I wanted to be able to start it, get out, lock it and then come back in a few minutes and get in and go, or leave the truck locked and idling while grabbing a coffee.

However, packing around both sentry keys with the integral keyless entry was not practical. I had a third sentry key (key only, $$$ dealer only too) cut, but starting it with that key and carrying the keyless entry key was not practical either (plus the spare sentry key is dedicated as an emergency lockout key stored under the truck).

So I had a non sentry key cut at the local hardware store that worked in the door tumbler, but I could not get the doors locked while the truck was in park and running - I could lock them from inside with the power door lock switch, but as soon as I opened the drivers door, all 4 doors power unlocked and would not power lock again with the drivers open. GRRRR.

This morning I figured out the procedure...

1. Cut $3 key at hardware store, test in door lock to make sure it works.
  2. Start truck with factory key.
  3. With truck running and in Park, lock doors from inside with power lock switch.
  4. STEP ON BRAKE pedal, pull the manual unlock knob on the door and open drivers door - closing the brake circuit defeats the automated unlocking of all 4 doors when exiting the vehicle.
  5. Exit truck, lock manually with knob and close drivers door, or after closing, from outside with $3 key in tumbler.
  6. To re-enter, use the $3 key.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nice! I sure am glad my truck doesnt have the special key. I use a $3 key in the ignition and keep my regular key and keyless entry in my pocket. It sure comes in handy.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Nice! I sure am glad my truck doesnt have the special key. I use a $3 key in the ignition and keep my regular key and keyless entry in my pocket. It sure comes in handy.
^^^^^^^^^6 ditto

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe you can disable the feature of all doors unlocking when the driver's door is open. Check your owner's manual. I think it is an option with the overhead computer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I'll check that out, here I was overthinking things!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't know if edge is in your future or not but you can set the time for 15 minutes to continue running and take your key, but if it is not than I too believe the option was on my overhead as well!

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
I don't know if it is different on your truck or not, but my 03 I just hit the lock button on the fob (would be your key) and get out no fancy brake pedal pushing or anything,

1 open door, start
2 hit fob lock button
3 shut door enjoy coffee

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I don't know if edge is in your future or not but you can set the time for 15 minutes to continue running and take your key, but if it is not than I too believe the option was on my overhead as well!
That would work, but sometimes when you re-enter your key while the truck is still running, the Edge will freeze up. Then, you have to turn the truck off and then back on for it to fix itself. Atleast, I've had that problem a few times before.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes volcom, I have had the same thing happen to me but unless I am going to continue on a long trip, it doesn't bother me otherwise Id have to restart...and oddly enough it doesn't do it everytime!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know if it is different on your truck or not, but my 03 I just hit the lock button on the fob (would be your key) and get out no fancy brake pedal pushing or anything,

1 open door, start
2 hit fob lock button
3 shut door enjoy coffee
My key and remote entry are integrated...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I say start the truck, open the door, press LOCK, shut door... come back and unlock with spare key... I unfortunately have already been locked out of truck once. I started truck with the door open and hit lock button on key hen starting the truck.. (didn't notice i did this) hopped out of truck and shut the door with it running.. came back a minute later and HOLY **** came out of my mouth.. so it is indded very simple to lock doors without all that hassle

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 7.5 and i just unlock the drivers door start it and manually push down the lock. I had a door key cut that i keep in my pocket i use to unlock the door. I don't know if its the same for your truck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine's an 08: I turned off the "auto door lock" AND "unlock doors on exit" features and it still will not allow me to re-lock the doors using the power door lock button with the truck parked and running...

·
Registered
172 Posts
ok i have to get in on this. I have an 07 and I can lock the door manually and get out, but them i have to use the tumbler to get back in. Does anyone know if there is a way i can use a second transponder key to lock and unlock the doos with the truck running. It seems like there should be something in the truck computer to alow this. I don't mind carrying the second transponder. thanks in advance. od and i don't know if it matters but it is a manual tranny.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I say start the truck, open the door, press LOCK, shut door... come back and unlock with spare key... I unfortunately have already been locked out of truck once. I started truck with the door open and hit lock button on key hen starting the truck.. (didn't notice i did this) hopped out of truck and shut the door with it running.. came back a minute later and HOLY **** came out of my mouth.. so it is indded very simple to lock doors without all that hassle
i just noticed your licence plate in you avitar. check this out. can there be 2??????????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts