Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to put together a fool proof sequence of steps so I can lock my truck while it is running. I thought I had it figured out but it seems to fail on me from time to time. Causing me to shut the truck off and restart it. The only way I've figured out how to lock the truck while running is to make sure the keyfob i keep on me is the key i use to open the truck before starting it. use the other key to start it, get out and lock it with the same keyfob i used to get into the truck. however this doesn't seem to work all the time.

am i missing an "interlock" the computer likes to see?

·
700hp Club
2,196 Posts
The truck doesn't like to lock the truck with the keys in the ingition, the way i always do it is just lock the drivers door manually on the way out.

·
US ARMY Retired
915 Posts
X2 thats how I do it...mine is tip start leave the tip start key fob in the ignition truck running. Then have the old style metal key in my pocket get out of the truck and manually lock the door. Do it when ever I go to my parents 1200 miles away and the truck runs for 18 hours straight never turning it off.

I really like your Avatar "4Neater"

·
4,673 Posts
Thats kinda how i do it too...

With it running and doors all shut, i lock the doors. I then open my door, which unlocks that door. I get out and manually lock the door by pushing the lock pin down, i close the door and the truck is running with the doors locked.

I just use my spare key ( non FOB ) to manually unlock my door.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thats kinda how i do it too...

With it running and doors all shut, i lock the doors. I then open my door, which unlocks that door. I get out and manually lock the door by pushing the lock pin down, i close the door and the truck is running with the doors locked.

I just use my spare key ( non FOB ) to manually unlock my door.
Yeah me too

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i find that with the truck running the lock switch on the door doesn't function due to a function to prevent locking your keys in the truck. nor can i force the lock pin down

maybe i have to lock the doors before starting the unit, or try using the key to lock from outside? i will try playing around with these few different methods.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
i find that with the truck running the lock switch on the door doesn't function due to a function to prevent locking your keys in the truck. nor can i force the lock pin down

maybe i have to lock the doors before starting the unit, or try using the key to lock from outside? i will try playing around with these few different methods.
That's weird, you should always be able to press the lock pin down. My 2007.5 works just fine using the truck running, all doors closed, press lock to lock all the doors, open the driver's door, manually lock it, and close the door method.

Can you normally press the lock down and it's only a problem with the truck running or is it a problem all the time?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have yet to put together a fool proof sequence of steps so I can lock my truck while it is running. I thought I had it figured out but it seems to fail on me from time to time. Causing me to shut the truck off and restart it. The only way I've figured out how to lock the truck while running is to make sure the keyfob i keep on me is the key i use to open the truck before starting it. use the other key to start it, get out and lock it with the same keyfob i used to get into the truck. however this doesn't seem to work all the time.

am i missing an "interlock" the computer likes to see?
Well I guess we need a thread about everything..........

Just lock the door manually as stated by others prior, use your key to unlock the door when you return.........:spank:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the issue i was having is due to the fact that i have the truck set up so that all four doors open with one press of the keyfob. if i start the truck first then i can't use lock switch to lock all four doors due to the feature for preventing locking the keys inside. i would have to run and round locking each door. or reprogram for a double click to unlock all doors (which i don't prefer)

i have it figured now. after entering the truck i relock all the doors with the door switch, start truck, exit truck, relocking my manually depressing lock pin.

i know this seems like retarded subject to some of you. so thank you for your replys and help. for some reason i was trying accomplish this solely with the electrics/electronics and was over looking the good old manual pin. i still swear i ran into no being able to manually depress the lock pin in the past, but obviously this was just something i imagined.
regardless.......this minor problems is solved. thanks again

·
Registered
40 Posts
mine is a 2010 bighorn and sometimes when i go into stores and other places for a quick soda....i like to leave the a/c on. i always just turn it off..get out press the x2 button a couple of times and it locks and starts and runs where ever i had the a/c controls set..works for me, but i guess you are not wanting to turn it off in the first place..
teebo

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
teebo,
first off nice truck dude! you are correct i don't want to shut it off in the first place. however your method would work if i didn't have the manual and no command start

·
Registered
984 Posts
My 08 only allowed you to start the truck with one key fob and lock the doors with the other key fob until you drove the truck and it did its first automatic lock sequence then it wouldn't let you do it.

So I could start it in the morning with key fob number 1 then lock it with key fob number 2 but after I got in the truck and left if I tried to do it again it wouldn't let me lock the door with the key fob. Had to lock it from the outside with the key. Now my 2010 allows me to lock the truck while its running with my second key fob whenever I want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts