Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who makes a good rear locker? im making decent power now but REALLY need a locker. my truck is a 2 wheel drive 4 speed non-dually. i think with the dana70 right?

·
Registered
661 Posts
check out Detroit lockers they have a good strong reputation.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
91 CDT, 5 speed getrag, big chrome single stack (i hate that stoopid thing), 30" good year AT's, some kind of performance air filter, "slightly turned up pump" (according to PO), HD and XM radio. what to do next?

He hates his big chrome stack????? I have a chrome stack on my push mower does that make me a redneck??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
By the way I really like my factory limited slip unit. Works very well and holds power good with no sliping. KNOCK ON WOOD!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, i would trade that huge stack for a 5inch before the wheel straight pipe any day. actually, i would trade my stack for a working pyro set up. i need one bad!

·
Registered
661 Posts
omg! heck yes there is a ton

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does any locker company have that bad of a reputation?
I guess that depends on what you do with the locker :lol3:

There is a very small list of serious duty lockers that will match the strength of a full Detroit.

If you daily drive the truck I would get a good limited slip. Take it from some one who has been driving a CTD around with a locker for 2 years, it sucks :(

Chris

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I twisted my truck on a dirt pile so there was no weight one one tire just to ckeck how the factory l/s unit worked. I just cracked the gas a little bit to load the clutches and both wheels spun. I was supprised at how well it gripped. I can have one wheel in sand and other on hot top and she spins both.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I twisted my truck on a dirt pile so there was no weight one one tire just to ckeck how the factory l/s unit worked. I just cracked the gas a little bit to load the clutches and both wheels spun. I was supprised at how well it gripped. I can have one wheel in sand and other on hot top and she spins both.
Posi's are awesome! Their only bad side is the lag, but in any normal situation that won't matter...

If it wouldn't cost me so much I would chunk my rear locker for a posi, even the stock gov lock.

Chris

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There are basically 3 types of traction control. Ratchet lockers, selectable lockers, and positraction units.

Ratchet lockers basically drive the inside wheel when turning and generally have slop, pop, clunk and generally are a pain. Detriots have big springs that wind up before disengaging, and so when they unload, they can be interesting. Stay away from Detriot EZ lockers. They are junk. Same design as a Lockright, but nowhere near as durable. In a front application they are great. Don't even know they are there unless in 4x4.

Selectable lockers are open differentials until you flip a switch. Lots of different ways to do it; electromagnet to sidegear, air diaphragm to sidegear, electric motor to shift fork to splined shaft. Flip the switch and it's a spool. No differential action AT ALL.

Open differentials basically will split torque until one gets less than 1/3 the traction. Then you start getting one leggers. Most positractions simply add friction to add to the bias. Cones, discs, helical gears etc. The most commmon puts clutch packs on the outside of the sidegears, so when power is transmitted to the side gears from the spiders, the angle of the gears adds to the springs preloading the clutch packs. Pick up a tire, and the only power transfer is from the springs pushing against the clutch pack (not much transfer usually)

Installation in the rear is pretty easy, the only shimming is for backlash, and if you replace the bearings on the carrier, you don't need a bearing splitter or a hydraulic press. You can do it with the axle on the ground. :)

In a 2wd, I think a posi is THE ONLY way to go. Ratchets are a pain to drive with, selectables only will be used once and a while, and only offroad, probably. A posi, however, you will always have it working for you. The only handling issue is that it will tend to push you out of a corner a little when you gas it, and pull you in when you let off. It's pretty slight. I run all 3 types.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I agree. If I was rock crawling I would have a locker, spool or air locker. On the street a good L/S is hard to beat. Off road all twisted up with huge traction diffrence between wheels you are asking to much out of the clutches but on the hot top its great.

·
Registered
841 Posts
im deffinately looking into this as well. If you look at my pics you will see i got stuck in my front yard!! HOW EMBARISING! My friend had come pull me out with his truck!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts