Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98.5 2500 24v 4wd diesel. My lock out torque conv. will not stay locked up. I have had trouble with it going in and out, then I put the DTT noise filter on and the trans. worked perfect for two years. This problem just feels different. I have aftermarket exh, edge 5 stage box, htt turbo, edge stage 3 inj nozzles, tourque conv lockup swith ( it done it a few times even witn the switch on ), and afe cold air intake. the truck has 158,000 miles on it. Do you think the conv is going out?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Like as soon as it locks up, it feels like theres slippage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it locks up, there is no slippage. Just won't stay locked most of the time

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its possible the LU solenoid is having problems. Check the simple stuff first.
What is the best way to check this, and where is it located?

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I would check ALL of the exposed wiring or whatever is easy to get to from the switch...Most switches just produce a ground, may be losing connection.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
If it's unlocking when a lockup switch is on, you most likely have a bad solenoid. Might try DTT and get a quick diagnosis.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I have a 98.5 2500 24v 4wd diesel. My lock out torque conv. will not stay locked up. I have had trouble with it going in and out, then I put the DTT noise filter on and the trans. worked perfect for two years. This problem just feels different. I have aftermarket exh, edge 5 stage box, htt turbo, edge stage 3 inj nozzles, tourque conv lockup swith ( it done it a few times even witn the switch on ), and afe cold air intake. the truck has 158,000 miles on it. Do you think the conv is going out?
Well, you COULD be blowing through your converter, where in southern ohio are you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does it lock in and out at around 46mph?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Thanks a lot for all the advice guys. I live in the middle of nowhere 30 miles south of Jackson, OH. It doesn't seem to matter what speed ( as a matter of fact there is no set time of how or when or where it does it). The truck just all of sudden started this. It is not real bad,usually I can give it some more fuel and it will stop. It does seem to do it at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked all the wiring that I could ( I'm a pretty big guy and not very nimble).did not see anything other than a loose ground strap. I fixed that and went ahead and reset the apps but it still did the same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts