Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to install a torque converter lock-up switch and need to know what wire to splice in to and any tips :thumbsup
TIA-
Josh

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Middle harness. Orange wire w/black tracer (might be a navy blue).

Torque Converter Lockup Switch
for 1996 - 2003 Ram Diesels
(except California vehicles)
The addition and use of a torque converter lockup switch can improve 0 to 60 mph times by 3-5 seconds, improve your ability to stay in higher gear when pulling heavy loads, and improves braking in 3rd and 4th gears when using an exhaust brake. The following diagram is supplied at no cost or obligation. Note that use of this method of lockup may be hard on vehicle drivetrain and may void vehicle drivetrain warranty. Use makes vehicle drive like a manual transmission in 4th gear such that vehicle may/will stall at low speeds/stops if lockup is not disconnected.
Note: Some 1996 automatics require computer to be reflashed by dealer for the lockup switch to work.
Step-by-step Instructions:
1. Install jumper wire in place of the trans relay in the Power Distribution Center (black box behind driver side battery) as shown in diagram below. This jumper wire will supply 12 volt positive to the transmission torque converter clutch solenoid. This jumper will be electrically hot thus it should be installed so as not to short against ground.
Note: The position of this relay changes from one year to the next. Consult relay location chart on inside of relay box cover.
2. Install ground wire from the B11 orange wire with black stripe to a switch or relay such that the ground source can be turned on and off. The B11 wire is located in the middle computer connector located on the firewall behind the air cleaner.

·
Mark Ward
836 Posts
somethin ive ben meaning to do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well worth it! Just got done doing it last weekend...wish I would have done it from day one.

Do you use it for towing or racing? I have been thinking of doing this in my 06 for towing, but am still on the fence about it.

·
Go for Broke
6,696 Posts
if you dont have a good trans (billet parts) i would NOT do it

locking it with a good converter can break input shafts real quick

Scott

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have a banks billet converter....is it goin to hurt puttin it on?

·
Registered
162 Posts
the only time I would think you would have to worry about breaking input shafts is during WOT shifts.

If i were to do it, I would only lock it once at speed. I don't drag race my truck, so it would only be for towing.

·
Registered
991 Posts
is the process the same for an 04?

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
I ONLY use it when i'm in 4th...shifting locked can be bad :thud:

Do you use it for towing or racing? I have been thinking of doing this in my 06 for towing, but am still on the fence about it.
So far, neither. I just like that when I get to 4th I can flip the switch and not have to worry about it shifting a hundred thousand times....

It will probably get used for towing, though.

·
Go for Broke
6,696 Posts
i have a banks billet converter....is it goin to hurt puttin it on?
your trans already locks in 3rd gear....if it were me i would not run one unless you had a billet input shaft

that converter will lock up harder then stock one did and it could take out your stock input shaft

·
Registered
209 Posts
I installed a switch on my truck and I flip it when it hits 2nd. It doesn't shift that much harder but lowers the rpm and the torque converter is not slipping anymore during acceleration. I dont accelerate hard just normal take off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
how do you do a lock up switch on a 12v

·
Registered
325 Posts
I ONLY use it when i'm in 4th...shifting locked can be bad :thud:

So far, neither. I just like that when I get to 4th I can flip the switch and not have to worry about it shifting a hundred thousand times....

It will probably get used for towing, though.
how do you figure shifting locked is bad?????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts