Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how good they are? would they be torn apart by the raw power of our trucks? lol and are they hard to install? my D70 and D60 are both open diffs. i would like to either lock one or the other or possibly both for the extra grip.

· Registered
709 Posts
i can't remember who but, there is someone on this forum is running a lock rite. i too was afraid it wouldn't hold up but he said he has had no problems. he said it was a heavy unit. the install is easy and you should be able to have it finished in 3 hours or so. i am running a detroit and there is much more to installing one of these. it took me about 6 hours because i had to swap the ring gear and set the backlash. i have run locker in so mant rigs and for so long that i don't want anything that is not at least locked in the rear. i'm not sure how the manners of the lockrite would be in our long wheelbase but they are pretty rude in jeeps. i have run many lockrites and they get the job done. my detroit is seamless, smooth.

· Registered
232 Posts
They aren't made for high HP or Tq applications but they can live depending on how you drive and how big a tire you are running. I wouldn't hesitate to run one in the front D60 but not in the rear D70. Get a spool or weld it if it is for offroad. Get a detroit if it is a DD.

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, its just a daily driver and on snow runs or something id like to have atleast one axle locked. So i might do the front. what size splines does our D60's have? and im running 285/75R16 for tires

· Registered
232 Posts
35 spline for the inner shafts. I just picked up a Spartan locker(same as a loc-rite basically) for the D60 in my jeep. $285 shipped. Pm me if you want more info about where I got it.

· Registered
232 Posts
I have a similar unit made by powertrax. Works great and easy to install, also beat the chit out of it and no clunking or ratcheting yet!

· Registered
709 Posts
if your going to drive on snowy roads you DO NOT want a front locker. lockers in the front axle are dangerous as they kill the ability to steer. lockers in the front also break parts. if you want to lock the front then get a selectable lockers and for reliability you should upgrade you out axles to 35 spline, that means new bearings and lockout hubs. if you are only locking 1 axle it should be the rear. the rear is stronger, and much safer handling

· Registered
232 Posts
544.00 if i remember right. Not cheap but it works so good!

· Registered
90 Posts
I've run them in my 4runner front and rear on 38's with no problems. I beat the crap out of that thing too. In my experience the bigger the tire the less you'll notice the clunking of the locker. Selectable is nice but costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Any locker in snow and ice WILL get you into trouble if you don't watch your behind but they are fun for sure. Install is easy as it gets, you just replace the spider gears with the new pieces and go.

· Registered
2,900 Posts
i have one in my chevy im putting about 475 to 525hp to it and 38inch tires and i pull it and about every thing els you can do with a truck! no problems yet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.