Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your experience with the lock n stitch method. I have a 53 block that's cracked and need some help here. I am fighting with the idea of just using bronze filler rod. I have repaired cast like this in the past, just dont know what might be different about this.

·
Registered
199 Posts
loc n stitch

I have a 53 also with 100k and so far ok but did you try going to Cummins even though it's out of warranty another forum member went to Cummins with,I believe 147k, and they replaced with a short block. I would try that first. What I did was find a good low milage (24k) Mexican block and am holding for possible crack although most seem to appear before 100k they don't always. How many miles did you have before cracking? I talked to a guy named Nate at Cummins customer service and he said about 1% failed. With different expansion rates and an already thin water jacket I don't trust the loc-n-stitch fix or brazing and after asking on several forums I subscribe to no more than half the loc-n-stitch seem to last more than a few months or a year. Let me know how you come out if you don't mind. gerry

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
The only reliable repair is block replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thought is to get the brace they use and just braze it up. I am looking to try to make this last 6 months till I can rebuild a block.
Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
332 Posts
if you need it to last six months just to throw a new block in, then just run some stop leak from the auto parts store. thats what ive been doing. makes it leak a lot slower. its probably the cheapest temp fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you need it to last six months just to throw a new block in, then just run some stop leak from the auto parts store. thats what ive been doing. makes it leak a lot slower. its probably the cheapest temp fix.
That's the best fix I think I've heard yet. Your probably right. I think everyone has talked me out of trying to save this junk. Just rebuild:S:

·
Registered
332 Posts
yeah absolutely. its just not worth it to keep battling those blocks after they cracked.

very few crack and even fewer get repaired.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stop leak can lead to problems elsewhere, like the radiator and heater core.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Stop leak can lead to problems elsewhere, like the radiator and heater core.
youre right it can. but it hasnt for me. not to mention in 6 months he's in for huge repairs.

the heater core is the only thing i was really worried about. so i just used a 90* and hooked the two hoses going to the heater core up to each other. takes like 10 minutes. then just hook them back up after a few days of having the stop leak in the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts