Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck to a local shop to replace the torque converter after it locked up on me. He told me that the tranny was shot so I went and looked at it. It looked a little worn and there were pitts in places. Anyway I payed 3000 for a rebuilt tranny, got it back today after some trouble with the salesman and drove it home. I noticed that it shifts into second a little hard but when I parked in the driveway to check the fluid it was like 2 or 3 quarts over the max line. I had them change the oil to synthetic with the new tranny. Does synthetic oil read differently on the stick or are these guys giving it to me. Also how can I tell if they put synthetic oil in it?:banghead:

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
Not sure how to tell what type of fluid is in it, but it should read on the stick the same as from the factory. Did you check it on flat ground with the truck in neutral and the fluid hot?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I drove it about 7 miles on the freeway and got on it. Pulled in the drive way, went through P, R, N, D, 2, 1, 2, D, and then back to N. I then let it sit for 5 minutes in N, then checked the fluid and it read at least 2 quarts to high.

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
Its definitly over full then, take it back and B1tch. Even if it has a bigger pan the fluid will read the same on the dipstick.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If they can't fill the transmission properly i highly doubt they are qualified to rebuild one or install one. This would worry me a bit.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,436 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about your troubles....and might want to stay away from that shop in the future!!:confused013:

·
Registered
963 Posts
When you said you let it sit for 5 minutes, did you mean idleing ? running.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
mines always over full, it was like that when i got my triple disc t/c, v/b, oil pump and double deep pan installed with amsoil synthetic fluids from a very good diesel transmission shop, havent had any problems and when i dropped my trans and replaced my broken input shaft i just reused the old amsoil fluids since it wasnt even 2000 miles since it was rebuilt with all the goodies, but i added it all back in and then added a few more quarts and still no problems....:confused013:

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
id take it back and ask wtf spend all that money and they cant read a dipstick?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just took it out and ran it again. Got her warm and brought it back home. When I checked the fluid this time it read a little lower than before but still 1 quart high on the dipstick. I also noticed that one time she shifted strangely almost like a sudden downshift into second and then back to third gear (at low speeds through my neighborhood). That only happened once though. I have been running conventional ATF4 but I upgraded this time to synthetic trans oil. Would this have anything to do with these symptoms?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, the salesman told me that they had to reset the computer on the truck and do some tweaking to the timing of the shifts. Does that make any sense to any of you? I'm starting to feel sick. You know, that feeling you get when you were just screwed and you didn't even like it.

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
The dealer that i got mine from had a reflash done to correct an overdrive shifting issue before i bought mine, its got the tag under the hood for it. Do you have a tag that says they reflashed it?

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Syn acts just like non as far as normal shifting. By the way all ATF+4 is synthetic. No snake oil additives required.
The one quart over full is not the end of the world. Many places add some extra. In fact I run about 3/4 th quart over full myself. The reason. Sometimes slight machining grooves or scratches will exist between VB and case allowing air (verrry small) to be pulled through the pump system. The extra oil covers this area assuring no aireation or noise. A extra quart will not get the oil level while running into rotating components. If filled to that point, troubles can develop, but not at one quart over filled. As another example we consistenlly put 12 quarts of oil in our 10 or 11 quart diesel engines with no ill effect. Don't let the "sky is falling" mentality overwhelm you.
On another point, an occasional harsh upshift is gonna happen, especially with lift foot and change shift foot movements with a HD or upgraded shifting VB. JMHO and a few years dealing with this tranny.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Use the backside of the dipstick to get the proper level. It will usually read high on the marked side and perfect on the back. This is normal.

We use dino oil for the first service and then we'll run whatever the customer wants after that. The cheap stuff just gets the break in particles cleaned out and it's done.

A trans should NEVER be overfilled.

Dave

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
if the rebuild had some heavy duty aftermarket components, like the t/c and v/b your shifts are gonna be hard, mine are very firm, but thats the way a built tranny shifts, and its gonna take a lil bit of time until it breaks in, i know when mine was first done with all aftermarket stuff id have a weird shift on occasion for the first few miles..if you look around on some of the big name diesel guys site, like dunrite where my stuff came from they will say that stuff like that is normal, just my $.02:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts