Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my smarty and was reading the directions on the egr stuff. Well the directions are for people starting with a stock pickup. It says there must be no codes at the time of conversion to work. So how do we with everything already gone go about doing it?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Before you upload the smarty delete the codes via the smarty.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
By that you mean hook up my egr motor and pull the plunger out then clear codes?
Yes. Get all the appropriate stuff off and plug in the EGR motor. Go turn key on then remove shaft, then plug in smarty and delete codes, after that do the upload.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Get all the appropriate stuff off and plug in the EGR motor. Go turn key on then remove shaft, then plug in smarty and delete codes, after that do the upload.
I already have the original H&S 5 inch turbo back exhaust with the original foolers, so does that mean I won't have to change anything on that? Just haul my egr actuator out of the barn, hook it up, turn the key, pull out plunger, unplug the egr cooler motor, throw it in the weeds then plug in smarty and clear codes and then upload?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I already have the original H&S 5 inch turbo back exhaust with the original foolers, so does that mean I won't have to change anything on that? Just haul my egr actuator out of the barn, hook it up, turn the key, pull out plunger, unplug the egr cooler motor, throw it in the weeds then plug in smarty and clear codes and then upload?
Pretty much. I would unplug egr cooler motor before even turning the key on. Atleast thats what worked for me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks for the help. I'm going to try it now and will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
519 Posts
aer, all my crap was deleted before I installed smarty. Plug the egr valve in delete codes and go ahead with the download.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Does anyone know if the tire light will have any effect on this?? Mine stays on due to bigger tires and your not supposed to run that much pressure in them.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,060 Posts
So what about having an O2 sensor code? I have no way of correcting that? Also the EGR motor dis assembly is a little hoakie in my opinion. Oh well, smarty is on its way. Lets hope it works.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
So what about having an O2 sensor code? I have no way of correcting that? Also the EGR motor dis assembly is a little hoakie in my opinion. Oh well, smarty is on its way. Lets hope it works.
Chris, I dont get the O2 sensor code and mine are not in either.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Comp, my egr is completely disassembled and only the little motor is plugged in and no codes what so ever.

R

·
0 Posts
Comp this is why they want you clear the codes first.

Off mads website:
Also it is important to notice that the truck has to be DTC free when the conversion is done! It can happen that a
code for example low fuel pressure also brings up an EGR code. That is because the ECM may check several
circuits at one time when a DTC is detected. We have blocked only the direct detection of the EGR / DPF DTC's In
order to retain a fully operational DTC detection for all other engine components.

I don't know if not being able to clear O2 codes will effect it or not, but thought this might be of some help.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I loaded sw 3 1st time out and had plenty of power but I never put it down all the way. Whenever I got around half throttle something started popping. Like a really fast pop until I let off. Maybe rail pop? I've heard of that but never experienced it so I have no idea. Anyone know what that would be? I have it on sw1 now and no popping noise. Another thing, I keep getting 2 codes. They are p245c and p144e, both egr cooler bypass stuff. But I think I figured out what that problem was when I came back in and had another read at the instructions. I forgot to unhook to throttle valve connector. So I'll unhook that and see if that clears the codes.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thing I forgot to do was on the adjust options page, turn off the egr/dpf. But I fixed that also.

·
5,060 Posts
Well i guess we shall see how it goes. I dont have my EGR valve anymore.

·
5,060 Posts
Well I happen to have all that emeisson stuff. It is just sitting in the garage, not connected to my truck.
You gonna come down to try the Smarty and help me with installs? :hehe::lol4::hehe:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts