Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure I'm not the first one to notice, but I was messsing with the display on the edge yesterday and displayed load%. I was traveling with the cruise on at 60 mph and the load was about 25% so I downshifted to 5th gear and the load goes down to 12-15% but of course the rpms go up. I guess my question would be which would cause more fuel consumption on a diesel, load or rpms?:thud:

·
Registered
72 Posts
i tried runnin 5th for a trip about 60 miles and the mpg's were about 2 less than 6th so i would say rpms use more good question though

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Boost is a better tell. The more boost the more fuel.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I noticed this also. When I pulled my trailer it was lugging like crazy in 6th so I went to 5th. Much better. I also run in 5th in town going 55-60

Chris

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Load (LOD) is based on that rpm, boost, temp, etc... so its firing 25% of what it can for the current condition set.... so 25% at 1600 rpms may be less fuel than 15% at 2500 rpms, since you can dump more fuel at higher rpms...

I always have load up on my SGII, 94-96 is normally as high as it will go but I have seen 99 a few times. I use it to judge how the truck is doing on spare power... You can hit max load at less that WOT.

Boost is the best indication of work as it doesn't care about rpms (well mostly) it cares about fuel burn... more fuel = more boost = lower economy.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I thought it seemed a little odd so maybe I will switch back to boost then on my monitor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts