Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are load range D tires not recommended for our trucks? If so why not? My truck doesn't do any towing if that makes any difference. I'm basically trying to find as comfortable of a highway tire as possible. any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
When i was looking at new tires everyone said to get the load range E because the trucks are so heavy that the D's will wear quicker, just what i heard

·
Registered
596 Posts
IMHO you can run a D rated tire all day long, just be aware of the limitations of tire regarding weight limit and you will be just fine. Lots and lots of 3/4-1 tons out there running D rated tires. My dad used to run nothing but D rated All Terrains on a 1 ton F-350. Never an issue because he did not run them over loaded.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I agree, if you read the sidewall some D rated tires can carry as much or more than some E rated tires.

If your doing a lot of towing or carry heavy loads all the time then get the "E" rated tire.
it's all I use on the tow rig.

The D's are a little softer and they will wear out a little faster. We use them (D) on plow-trucks because they are softer giving us better traction.

·
06 Cummins
1,620 Posts
When I bought my truck it came with the BFG Rugged Trail 265-70-17's load range E, 3195 pound load weight. When I replaced those tires I got the BFG 315-70-17 AT KO's, load range D, 3195 pound load weight. The sidewalls of the D-rated tire will have a little more sidewall flex, makes for a more comfortable ride, and the load weight is the same. A friend who bought her truck at the same time as I bought mine ran the stock tires for right at 52K and replaced them, I ran the 315's to 54+K and replaced them. Both of us rotated our tires and both of us checked/maintained tire pressure weekly, I also did a ton of heavy towing and travel a lot of gravel roads and go off road, her truck is a runnin' empty pavement queen.

CD

·
Registered
289 Posts
Are load range D tires not recommended for our trucks? If so why not? My truck doesn't do any towing if that makes any difference. I'm basically trying to find as comfortable of a highway tire as possible. any info is appreciated. Thanks!
I had Hankook 315/70/17 D MT tires for about 6k miles running lower than 50lb max pressure. I don't tow or carry heavy so they rode much better than stock and looked brand new after 6k miles. They did however prevent turning the wheel at idle without moving because of width and size. Tough on suspension and steering box in these trucks. They were similar load capacity to e rated tires but the sidewall flex and size made the ride much better.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You might want to ask you insurance company what will happen if you have a blow out that causes a big pile up while running improper D rated tires on your truck as for most its an excuse to not fully cover you if you have accident using the improper equipment. You do know that most tire shops will not put D tires on any truck that requires E tires due to them being libel if you have a blow out?

·
06 Cummins
1,620 Posts
@DBLR - I did ask my insurance company about this load range D or E rated issue, I was told that is is not about this ALPHABET LETTER rating, it is about the actual WEIGHT RATING of the tire. The ALPHABET RATINGS have a WIDE SPAN of weight ratings, the only thing they care about is that the tire has a weight rating. If you happen to get stopped in a DOT check, they do not look at the load range rating, they go by the weight rating also.

I saw a police officer making out an accident report actually clean a spot on a tire sidewall and write down on his report that the tire was weight rated at (xxxx). This was an accident involving a car/truck where the truck t-boned the car and the driver was killed. The truck was not towing, it was running empty.

My agent was clear about the weight rating being what they could use to deny a claim or make partial payment on a claim.

CD

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Well if you want to take the chance go for it I know what I've been told by not only insurance agents but also an insurance adjuster. If you stop and think about it if they only cared about a tires weight rating then Dodge would not have put the E rated (aka 10 Ply) as being the required minimum tire to be used, instead they would of stated you can use any tire that can carry X amount of weight.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The E rated 265-70-17 Michelin LTX tires my truck came with are rated at 3,195 lbs. As seen here: Michelin LTX A/S

Near as I can tell, the new tires I'm getting are the Hankook Dynapro ATm RF-10's 315-70-17, and they are the same or close to it in a D rated tire.
As seen here: Hankook RF10 Size And Specification Chart Photo 9

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Well if you want to take the chance go for it I know what I've been told by not only insurance agents but also an insurance adjuster. If you stop and think about it if they only cared about a tires weight rating then Dodge would not have put the E rated (aka 10 Ply) as being the required minimum tire to be used, instead they would of stated you can use any tire that can carry X amount of weight.
same reason these trucks are rated at less than they can actually tow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The ply rating applies to only biased ply tires. Most tires now have 2 steel belts, 2 poly belts and sometimes nylons belts. And just some everyone knows by lowering the pressure it lowers the rating. 3195lbs at 80 psi, about 1600lbs at 40. If run and inflated properly you can run any tire in the d or e range.

·
Registered
98 Posts
IMO just look at the load index or the actual weight rating in pounds, bigger tires can carry more weight than smaller tires a 315/70/17 load range D will carry just as much if not more weight than a 265/70/17 load range E

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Here is another reason I will never trust any D rated tire on my truck. After becoming friends with a guy who owns a tow & repair company I've learned over the years that of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks he tows from a wreck that was caused by a tire blow out, 9 out of 10 had D rated tires, so I don't buy the line that a D rated is okay to be used as an replacement for an E rated tire.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Here is another reason I will never trust any D rated tire on my truck. After becoming friends with a guy who owns a tow & repair company I've learned over the years that of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks he tows from a wreck that was caused by a tire blow out, 9 out of 10 had D rated tires, so I don't buy the line that a D rated is okay to be used as an replacement for an E rated tire.
although i see what your saying, you may want to talk to dealerships that throw d rated nitto terra grapplers on there lifted powerstrokes and CTDs for that matter. my dad bought his last fleet of 5 6.0 fords from a dealership that threw 20s and the nittos on em. those trucks towed and traveled to and from wyoming to texas with no issues other than horrible wear.

and why would a chain such as discount tire mount them on our rigs with them apparantly not being meant for these trucks? obviously it would be a HUGE liablity for them to do it, i just dont buy into this letter rating either.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I don't know of any tire shop in my area including Discount tires in Rochester MN that will sell or mount D rated tires on any truck that came from the factor with E rate tires as they don't want to be liable if something happens. All I can say is if you know of a tire store who did so they must have more money then Brains as the liability could be as you stated HUGE.

In fact I've had several local shops refuse to sell me tires for the wife's car as it was not the size it came with from the factory. I had want to buy 265/70/16 for her car instead of 260/70/16 it came with and not one of the shops would sell me the tires I wanted. I did find out their was only 2 way's I could get the tires I wanted was to not tell them what car they would be going on and then to get them mounts I would have to take in bare wheels then go home and put them on the car my self or if the car already had the size tire I wanted to buy on the car already. Every time I asked why I was told its a big liability to put the wrong tire on a vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know of any tire shop in my area including Discount tires in Rochester MN that will sell or mount D rated tires on any truck that came from the factor with E rate tires as they don't want to be liable if something happens. All I can say is if you know of a tire store who did so they must have more money then Brains as the liability could be as you stated HUGE.

In fact I've had several local shops refuse to sell me tires for the wife's car as it was not the size it came with from the factory. I had want to buy 265/70/16 for her car instead of 260/70/16 it came with and not one of the shops would sell me the tires I wanted. I did find out their was only 2 way's I could get the tires I wanted was to not tell them what car they would be going on and then to get them mounts I would have to take in bare wheels then go home and put them on the car my self or if the car already had the size tire I wanted to buy on the car already. Every time I asked why I was told its a big liability to put the wrong tire on a vehicle.
The tire shops you go to must despise money.

·
Registered
655 Posts
^^AGREED^^^

discount tire and National tire and battery here in texas will gladly mount them i got a quote last week to mount and balance some 355/60/20s on my truck. load range D!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The tire shops you go to must despise money.
No they all like money they just don't want to be sued by some lawyer because someone refused to use a E rated tire that the manufacture states is the minimum rated tire to be used.

·
Registered
98 Posts
IMO There is more to it than just a letter. The size of the tire and the load index is far more important.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.